I Think I Am A Bad Diabetic

I will probably regret posting this, but here goes nothing…

I agree with Bush’s plan to veto the latest stem cell bill. Like him, “I support and encourage stem cell research — including using embryonic lines — as long as it does not involve creating, harming or destroying embryos,” … “That is an ethical line that should not be crossed.”

Do I want a cure? Absolutely – no doubt about it. Do I believe that the creation or destruction of human life should be involved in this process? No.

Besides, “opponents of the latest stem cell measure insisted that the use of embryonic stem cells was the wrong approach on moral grounds — and possibly not even the most promising one scientifically. They cite breakthroughs involving medical research conducted with adult stem cells, umbilical cord blood and amniotic fluid, none of which involve the destruction of a human embryo.” [taken from the article linked above]

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139:13-16 (KJV)
Category: Christian
  • Bernard says:

Sara

That’s such a lovely piece of scripture. And very appropriate for this discussion.

I think you’ll get some flaming over this, I hope it’s not too hateful.

Personally I’d like to see a cure, and it sounds as if stem cells may be part of that puzzle. But if Dr. Faustman’s research is correct then ‘growing’ new pancreatic cells won’t matter because our immune system will just take them out again.

As for the use of human embryos for this, I read/hear so many comments for and against it’s hard to know where the truth lies. If it’s possible to use stem cells from discarded dead embryos, then is that OK?

Would that be much different to taking a kidney or eyes from someone who died and using them for to help someone else?

I do hope that some acceptable compromise is worked out. For me, the use of tissue from dead embryos would be OK.

And Sara, you’re not a bad diabetic. You have beliefs that are important to you. Isn’t that a wonderful thing?

June 20, 2007 at 11:16 am
  • Nicole P says:

Sara –

No one is a bad diabetic for having an opinion about something that’s so charged – and that presses against faith so closely.

Although I disagree with you about using already existing embryonic cells that might otherwise be destroyed at fertility clinics across the country – I don’t think we ought to be CREATING embryos to get stem cells.

Since this science is ALL relatively new – there are a variety of opinions around which approach is best. But many scientists still believe that these cells hold great promise in advancing treatment and cures.

I’m glad you had the strength to put your opinion into your blog – I’m sure there are a lot of other diabetics and people with other diseases that might benefit from this type of research that agree with you wholeheartedly. And others who’ll disagree just as vehemently.

It doesn’t make anyone a bad diabetic or a bad person to have an opinion – in fact, apathy or ignorance are far less admirable qualities.

Nicole

June 20, 2007 at 11:16 am
  • Carol says:

No, you’re not a bad diabetic. I happen to agree with you on this, but even if I didn’t, you’d still be a good diabetic (whatever that is 🙂 in my book.

June 20, 2007 at 11:16 am
  • Carey says:

I wish I could understand your logic. I really do.

The legislation would allow federal funding for stem-cell research using excess human embryos that were created for fertility treatments and WOULD OTHERWISE BE DISCARDED.

It’s as if opponents, such as yourself, don’t choose to see the last few words of that sentence. “Would otherwise be discarded.” We can’t pretend it’s not happening. We can’t ignore that part of the story. Suddenly it’s unethical to destroy embryos. It’s been happening for 40 years. It’s just fact.

Where are the picketers? Why isn’t this the top story of the day? Why aren’t in-vitro clinics shut down?

It’s simple. George Bush is not about to tell people who are having difficulty conceiving that they can’t have babies.

Surely you can see that hypocracy.

It’s apparently OK to dispose of 20 embryos in order to salvage two to four to implant in a woman’s uterus so that she can have a baby. Yet, it becomes murder if these embryos are used for possible cures for degenerative diseases. What about my son? My baby?

Sorry if it sounds like I’m on the attack. I just find this incredibly frustrating. I just don’t understand.

June 20, 2007 at 11:16 am
  • Jonah says:

Thank you.

June 20, 2007 at 11:16 am

Don’t worry Sara, you are still awesome in my book.

Your opinion on your OWN blog should never be regretted.

June 20, 2007 at 11:16 am
  • Anonymous says:

Sara,
    You aren’t the only one in the OC to think this.Well said.

June 20, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Wow! Post something controversial and people actually leave comments! I was very glad to hear all of them – even the ones I disagree with.
    To clarify, I do not believe that embryos should be created for the sole purpose of research. That is not the purpose of life.

The ‘would otherwise be discarded” is a tricky situation. Why are they being discarded? Often times, it is because there is a genetic issue with the embryo that will not sustain life – not making the embryo helpful for research either. As for embryos remaining after a family is done having children, that is a bigger issue than I have room for on my blog.

And yes, every time I see money going into research for other conditions I too ask what about me, what about my family? It is a tough position to hold but one I feel I must.

June 21, 2007 at 12:39 am
  • Rachel... says:

One simple question:

If you needed to use IVF to have a child and ended up being successful, what would you have done with the remaining embryos? Let them be destroyed?

Because that is what happens. And that makes ME sick.

June 21, 2007 at 12:50 am
  • BetterCell says:

Hi Sara……..
    You are a good person who has Diabetes(T1DM).
    The Scripture is aglow in Beauty.

June 21, 2007 at 12:50 am
  • Megan says:

Sara-

Sorry it took me so long to comment on this. I really meant to, but I’ve been extremely busy.

First off- you’re not a bad diabetic. You’re entitled to your opinion, diabetes or not. And I am proud of your courage for openly expressing it. Bravo.

Now onto the actual subject. I’m torn here. I’m also a Christian, and also love that scripture. But like anyone else, I want a cure, and I think stem cells are promising in that process. Further, I can’t get past the hypocrisy of our government. I’m not a fan of abortion, but that is allowed. So we allow abortion, and the stem cells get discarded. The human left is still lost, but without the opportunity to save other human life. It’s the sadest tragedy in my opinion, and totally avoidable. Either stop abortions from being allowed, or allow stem cell research, but the government can’t have it both ways.

Further, couples having in-vitro have fertilized eggs that serve no use after awhile. These could also be used. But no, they are also wasted.

It’s a fine line, and I see where the line can be tangled with, but it seems so sadly hypocritical to me the way things are now. I’d personally like to see stem cell research allowed with strict limits on eggs that would otherwise go to waste.

June 21, 2007 at 10:04 am
  • Donna says:

Sara,
    First of all, thank you so much for posting your stand on this issue. You are NOT a bad diabetic; you are a wonderful Christian person who believes what God has written in His holy word. I, too, am against anything that destroys human life.

I love the beautiful scripture you included on your blog, too. Sometimes when I’m not feeling real well, I go back to that scripture & it makes me feel better. How can someone read this scripture & not understand your position?

I would like to see a cure for diabetes also. But I wouldn’t want to be held responsible for the destruction of human life in exchange for it. Advances in diabetes treatment has come so far since I was diagnosed 37 years ago. More advances will be made in the next 37 years & I don’t think it will require destroying babies. Thank you again for letting us know your position on this & for promoting your Christian belief. It’s nice to know we are not alone on this. God bless you!

June 21, 2007 at 11:39 pm