Diabetics Save The Environment

I don’t know if he was kidding or not, but when I posted this picture (click the link or picture to view the comments)

October 10, 2007 - diabetes365 - day 2

in the diabetes365 project in Flickr, Bernard commented that we should collect ONE MILLION of them and send them back to MiniMed. Seriously, how many of these do you have around your house? I am constantly stepping on them, getting them caught in the vacuum, and waking up several mornings with the imprint of one on my leg because it was rolled up somewhere in my sheet!

Here is the challenge: If you’ve got them, start collecting your pump caps. I don’t know exactly what we will do with them, but if a powerpoint presentation can save the environment, so can we!

Who’s in?

Category: insurance, pictures, pump
  • Donna says:

I think it’s a great idea! My kitchen table is the catch-all spot in our house & I found a bunch of them on there the other day when I was cleaning. Such a waste!

October 13, 2007 at 7:37 pm
  • Major Bedhead says:

Hah! That’s a great idea.

Can we send used test strips back to the OneTouch etc., people, too? Because those little things are everywhere.

I’m saving O’s insulin bottles. I’m going to buy some mini twinkle lights and put them on the Christmas tree.

October 13, 2007 at 10:29 pm
  • Michele says:

Maybe we should make a sculpture out of the caps, strips and insulin bottles to be displayed proudly on World Diabetes Day? Who knows – it might be fun!

October 18, 2007 at 2:10 pm
  • Chris says:

Thats a great idea. I am not the most creative mind out there, but I’m sure somebody has an excellent idea to do with them.

October 19, 2007 at 2:09 pm
  • Bernard Farrell says:

Sara

I’ve got some already and I’ll keep the ones I use between now and when I change pumps.

And I have a friend at work who wears a Minimed. I’ll ask her if she minds saving them.

Who’s going to keep count?

October 20, 2007 at 9:37 pm

I think we should collect for a specific length of time. 6 months – a year – something like that. Then everyone can send their caps to me or we can all choose a specific day to send them to MiniMed. I hear that people who wanted to save the CBS show Jericho sent CBS thousands of nuts (’cause of some line from the show), and that fan campaign actually helped get the show a few more episodes.

October 20, 2007 at 9:46 pm