About God

I was going to try to be incredibly creative and profound with this post – but then I remembered that is just not me. I have been thinking about God, medicine, and health a lot lately. Being a Christian and a diabetic is a unique combination that I do not always understand. But that’s not what this point is about.

First I have some prayer requests I would like to submit a request to the praying blogosphere. I don’t know how I found this blog, but I have been incredibly moved ever since. If you have not visited Confessions of a CF Husband and read the journey he and his amazing wife are on please go there right now and you will cry, laugh, and be moved all at the same time. And I know that they covet your prayers during incredible time in their lives.

Second, a daughter of a close family friend has been diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma. It is a pretty serious cancer and this sweet little girl is only in fourth grade with 2 younger sisters. The links above will take you to more information about it. It was found in her head/neck area when her ear drum burst right before Christmas. Also, her aunt, uncle, and cousins are currently living in Sri Lanka as missionaries so the family is feeling the pain of separation even more at this time. I am sure they will covet your prayers as well. They don’t have a website yet, but I know they are working on one. If it is public, I will let you know.

I feel selfish asking this now at the bottom of this post, but I have a personal question too. For the current book club selection at my work, we are reading Richard Foster’s Celebration of Discipline. One of the chapters is on fasting. Now I know I don’t have to fast, or fast necessarily from food (that’s not the points of fasting), but could I? Let’s say my basal settings are perfect – is it possible? Have any of you ever done it?

Category: books, Christian, health, work
  • milepost13 says:

Thank you!

January 15, 2008 at 8:19 pm
  • platmap says:

Do send your friend to the Rhabdo-Kids email support list. They can subscribe here:

They will find a busy list filled with parents of children with rhabdomyosarcoma, as well as older patients and survivors with a wealth of information and guidance to share.

Best,

James Atkinson
    Asheville, NC

January 15, 2008 at 8:39 pm
  • Donna says:

Sara,
    You are so good to post these prayer requests for these people. Makes my diabetes seem like a piece of cake (probably not a good analogy for a diabetic, huh?). Anyway, I will keep these people in my prayers.

As far as the fasting goes, I have no idea. Sorry. Good luck finding out about that.

January 15, 2008 at 9:48 pm
  • insearchofbalance says:

A lot of fasting seems to include the use of liquids or drinks… in that case, I’m sure you could.

I’m sorry to hear about your family friends. What a struggle. I’ll be thinking of them.

January 15, 2008 at 10:12 pm
  • Mel says:

Sara, I have fasted twice. Each year our church’s youth group does the 30 hr famine and I always played the diabetic card… until I was on the pump. So for the past two years I have tried to participate. Both years I had the same rules–treat lows, be careful with temp basal rates (we tend to be active) and the only food I can eat is peanut butter crackers (protein and carbs). The first year I went through quite a few packages of crackers and felt the same feeling of being deprived I think… since I was rather sick of the crackers, but I was able to keep my sugars in check, minus 1 or 2 lows. Last year, I think I ate one or two packages of crackers and had one low.

I also didn’t fast for 30 hrs; I started with a very small breakfast (a package of crackers :)) and went from there til midnight. I’d suggest that you do some basal checks before trying to fast for a day. That will help save you frustration if at least the basals are on!

Great choice for a book club read btw 🙂

January 15, 2008 at 10:55 pm
  • Jillian says:

CF Husband, what an amazing story. I read at least 100 posts just to find out the story. It is all truly a miracle.

January 15, 2008 at 11:44 pm