Kill ’em with kindness – errr humor

The topic for this week’s vlog is the ‘diabetes police’ and how we defeat them. Most of the time I think the police are just clueless or don’t know how personal a question they are really asking.

(password: wonderful)

I forgot to mention another techinque I use. A lot of people – diabetic and not – seem to ask me my latest blood glucose result. Since it is no one’s business but my own, I have three responses that I use: in range, a little high, a little low. The way I see it, that is all they need to know.

Also, here are some pictures with the new camera. I spent most of last night watching gymnastics and reading the manual.

August 15, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 312
August 14, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 311
August 12, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 309

7 Comments

Good Luck and Happy Weekend to you too! I love that you told her, “Tell me how much you weigh!” that is so awesome.

Good advice.

• Karen says:

Awesome answer!!! Maybe that will help convey to the D.P. what a personal question they are asking. I also like your three responses – you are right, it’s the perfect amount of info. Heck, most of the time if I do tell the number, they then ask “Oh, is that good?” If you don’t know, then why did you ask what my number was! LOL

Love the new camera. Happy weekend!!

• Kerri. says:

LOL – that’s the way to handle it. Another great vlog, Sara! 🙂

And congrats again on the new camera. I wish I had advice, but I’m still figuring mine out. So far, all I can say is “Don’t drop it!” and “It likes to listen to Yanni while it’s uploading.” 😉

• Donna says:

Great answer, Sara. I’ll have to remember that one.

• jill. says:

Haha I love your vlogs, Sara.

My grandpa who is a long-time type 2 controlled by “A1C tests and tablets” ALWAYS asks me what my number is. Sometimes I escape the question by saying “it’s fine”, but he’s persistent.

Recently he saw that I tested at 94 and he was so proud of me – yeah too bad that I had like 3 or 4 units of insulin on board and was headed toward a low..

I love your “tell me your weight” response!

• deigratia says:

Why has the JDRF denied funding to Dr. Faustman and her research to cure Type 1 diabetes? Phase 1 has become the burden of proof that the “Faustman Hypothesis” is the frontiers we must explore to cure type 1 diabetes and other autoimmune diseases. JDRF – if you’re not part of the solution you are part of the problem! Here’s my call to action: Phase 2 of Dr. Faustman’s human trials are estimated to cost $25 million. If 1 million people watching this video have the wherewithal to donate $25 to Dr. Faustman’s human trials at MGH – the cure for millions is unstoppable! Do you have $25 to make a dream come true? Please donate to Dr. Faustman’s research

Deigratia –

I do donate to Dr. Faustman’s research and if you had looked a little deeper into my blog posts you would have even found blog posts about her research.