Kill ’em with kindness – errr humor

The topic for this week’s vlog is the ‘diabetes police’ and how we defeat them. Most of the time I think the police are just clueless or don’t know how personal a question they are really asking.

(password: wonderful)

I forgot to mention another techinque I use. A lot of people – diabetic and not – seem to ask me my latest blood glucose result. Since it is no one’s business but my own, I have three responses that I use: in range, a little high, a little low. The way I see it, that is all they need to know.

Also, here are some pictures with the new camera. I spent most of last night watching gymnastics and reading the manual.

August 15, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 312
August 14, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 311
August 12, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 309

Category: friends, vlog, work

Good Luck and Happy Weekend to you too! I love that you told her, “Tell me how much you weigh!” that is so awesome.

Good advice.

August 16, 2008 at 2:02 am
  • Karen says:

Awesome answer!!! Maybe that will help convey to the D.P. what a personal question they are asking. I also like your three responses – you are right, it’s the perfect amount of info. Heck, most of the time if I do tell the number, they then ask “Oh, is that good?” If you don’t know, then why did you ask what my number was! LOL

Love the new camera. Happy weekend!!

August 16, 2008 at 9:29 am
  • Kerri. says:

LOL – that’s the way to handle it. Another great vlog, Sara! 🙂

And congrats again on the new camera. I wish I had advice, but I’m still figuring mine out. So far, all I can say is “Don’t drop it!” and “It likes to listen to Yanni while it’s uploading.” 😉

August 16, 2008 at 10:21 am
  • Donna says:

Great answer, Sara. I’ll have to remember that one.

August 16, 2008 at 11:51 am
  • jill. says:

Haha I love your vlogs, Sara.

My grandpa who is a long-time type 2 controlled by “A1C tests and tablets” ALWAYS asks me what my number is. Sometimes I escape the question by saying “it’s fine”, but he’s persistent.

Recently he saw that I tested at 94 and he was so proud of me – yeah too bad that I had like 3 or 4 units of insulin on board and was headed toward a low..

I love your “tell me your weight” response!

August 17, 2008 at 10:01 am
  • deigratia says:

Why has the JDRF denied funding to Dr. Faustman and her research to cure Type 1 diabetes? Phase 1 has become the burden of proof that the “Faustman Hypothesis” is the frontiers we must explore to cure type 1 diabetes and other autoimmune diseases. JDRF – if you’re not part of the solution you are part of the problem! Here’s my call to action: Phase 2 of Dr. Faustman’s human trials are estimated to cost $25 million. If 1 million people watching this video have the wherewithal to donate $25 to Dr. Faustman’s human trials at MGH – the cure for millions is unstoppable! Do you have $25 to make a dream come true? Please donate to Dr. Faustman’s research

August 22, 2008 at 1:03 am

Deigratia –

I do donate to Dr. Faustman’s research and if you had looked a little deeper into my blog posts you would have even found blog posts about her research.

August 26, 2008 at 9:22 am