6.0, 3 lives, 2 cookies, 1 apple juice

I donated blood after work today. This was quite an accomplishment considering what happened to me last time. I was their last ‘stick’ of the day, and they were all in a really good mood, laughing, joking, and rockin’ out to some tunes. It wasn’t the worst draw I have ever experienced (truly last time was!), but it still isn’t anything like my endo’s office whose phlebotomist can do a good draw even in the dark!

They were giving away free concert tickets for this weekend, but I knew I would not be able to make the event so I joked that they better not put the snacks away because I deserved some sort of reward, right?! I got two cookies and told them I didn’t want any juice. The lady could not believe I didn’t want juice – and I really didn’t want to explain that I don’t really drink juice (unless I am low). She continued to pester me to take one, so I finally relented and took an apple juice. When I got home, I noticed all my Juicy Juice apple juice boxes had expired so the ‘donation juice’ might come in handy.

A lot to be said about my endo appointment this week, but my most recent A1c came back at 6.0. Yay! There was one result in my lab work that my endo and I can’t figure out (don’t freak out Mom it isn’t a huge deal!) so I have been trying to Google an answer for that one. I don’t know if it is a bad or good thing to stump your endo…

Wow! Awesome A1C!

November 11, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Congrats Sara! That is awesome!!!

November 12, 2008 at 12:03 am
  • landileigh says:

that is the best #!!! i hate when i get the vampires from hell and i come out looking like i’m sort of junkie with bruises up my arm. and you should always take the juice, ya never know when you’re going to need it later!

November 12, 2008 at 12:58 am
  • type1emt says:

Great a1c, congrats! and I agree with Landileigh, take the juice/cookies/whatever they offer, odds are you’ll be needing them..
    I always drank tomato juice after donating, since that is healthy.

November 12, 2008 at 9:34 am
  • Karen says:

Glad things went much better this time. I read the post from last time and it’s a wonder you donated again!!

Congrats on your A1C – that’s awesome!

November 12, 2008 at 10:27 am
  • molly says:

Nice job, Sara!
    Hope that your lab value that’s off is no big deal.

November 12, 2008 at 10:42 am
  • Nicolep says:

Help! Sara – I need to email you about something. Can you email me – I can’t find an address for you on this site. I am working on appealing my DME cap and wondered if you had any helpful hints… I couldn’t see how your issue was resolved – but I gather your appeal was successful… Thanks in advance – N

November 12, 2008 at 5:46 pm
  • Mom says:

Great A1C! Let me know about the other value that they are pursuing. Mom’s earn the right to be concerned. Can’t wait to see you in 2 weeks. I talked to Jennine from the living room tonight on the cell. Wow what an experience.

November 13, 2008 at 1:28 am