Celebrating d-bloggers

dblog-08-lg

When I was a kid, I didn’t know a single diabetic. There wasn’t a single one in my family, no one at my church or my school, and none of the kids in the neighborhood. It wasn’t until my grandma was diagnosed when I was around 10 that I had any personal experience with diabetes.

I don’t think then, that I would have had any idea what my world would be like now. Sure, there are the annoying high and low blood sugars, and ordering and paying for the never-ending stream of supplies.

But without diabetes I would not have met such a wild, crazy, fun, exciting, and diverse group of people.

iphonepic Mandy and I Type 1 Mom Song July 25, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 291 - Kerri and I
Allison at the FFL Banquet

And you know what the best part is? Even though I live hundreds (and thousands) of miles away from most of these people I know that when I blog about the fact that I have an endocrinologist appointment tomorrow and I will be getting my new A1c results, or that I am about to start the fight for a CGMS, they will be happy, supportive, angry, and everything else a community should be.

Do you want to know how I know this? Hannah Montana was going to start its new season with an episode about one of the main characters developing diabetes – only it was the worst depiction of diabetes since Steel Magnolias.

Word got out about this episode in the diabetes (online) community, and guess what happened?

hannah montana

Category: Dexcom, friends, holidays
Tag: ,
  • Chris Bishop says:

Happy D-Blog Day. Thanks so much for making your mark in the Diabetes community and sharing your life with me and everyone.

Live long and healthy.

November 9, 2008 at 11:33 pm
  • Lee Ann says:

Those pictures are great! Happy D-Blog Day!

November 9, 2008 at 11:42 pm
  • Mandy says:

Happy D-Blog Day!!!
    You have certainly brightened up my world. thanks!

November 9, 2008 at 11:53 pm
  • Scott says:

Happy D-Blog Day! I think the Diabetes OC is one of the first new diabetes treatments that was self-created, unlike those invented in drug company labs, but far more effective in treating the sense of loneliness that is all but overlooked by the medical profession! Let’s hope this community continues along its independent track for the foreseeable future!

November 10, 2008 at 9:19 am

Happy D-Blog Day Sara! Your pictures are awesome and often put a smile on my face!

November 10, 2008 at 11:03 am

THE IPHONE PIC!!!!!!!

I know you hate that picture but I love it! We had such a blast that day.

Anyhow, your post was well said as always. I love this community too and love how we all support one another!

Boo to Hannah Montana.

November 10, 2008 at 11:04 am
  • Sandra Miller says:

Happy D-Blog Day to you too, Sara. 🙂

November 10, 2008 at 12:00 pm
  • Kerri. says:

That picture of you and SuperG always makes me smile. 🙂

Thanks for being out there, Sara. You are definitely one of the good ones. (And Chris says hi, too!)

November 10, 2008 at 5:18 pm
  • Caro says:

Well said. There’s a lot of miles of ocean between us geographically, but where diabetes is concerned, the distance is tiny. Maybe one day we’ll get to have a photo taken together.

Happy (belated) D-Blog Day!

November 10, 2008 at 5:51 pm
  • Colleen says:

Sara, your energy and enthusiasm are so inspiring. Looking forward to more of your Vlogs!

November 10, 2008 at 7:27 pm
  • Kathy says:

We would all get along without the D, but for once it makes us ‘special’ in a good way 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

November 10, 2008 at 8:51 pm
  • Cara says:

Isn’t it amazing what this community can do together? We moved companies like DISNEY to do something! That’s pretty darn impressive if you ask me.
    Not to mention the fact that we are all really cool. 😛

November 11, 2008 at 7:05 pm