Do you want to have this conversation?

I almost completely lost my temper at work today. It got so bad that I Twittered this phrase:

is there diabetic immunity if you beat someone up for making a stupid diabetes comment?

My work is sponsoring free ice cream once a week with rotating flavors. For as long as I can remember I have had a very specific favorite. I am so passionate about this combination that I included a picture of it in my diabetes365 project.

April 27, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 202

In case you can’t tell from the picture, it is chocolate and cookies and cream. I even found out when I posted this picture that in Singapore they have an ice cream flavor that is chocolate with Oreo chunks in it – perfection!!

As luck would have it, today’s ice cream was this exact combination. I was beyond excited.

During lunch I was eating lunch with a group of people, including a new single *ahem* male employee. I was telling them about this ice cream combination – yes I am that passionate about it.

Another employee, actually the person responsible for sponsoring the ice cream, stops by the table and asks me what I am talking about. When I tell her, her response is,

And this coming from the diabetic!

So I respond with, “Do you want to have this conversation now, because we can have it.”

The rest of the table gets very quiet. They are my friends and they know I am upset.

However, this lady doesn’t get it. She laughs, turns to the new guy and says,

No. She is diabetic. She shouldn’t be having ice cream.

I repeat looking straight into her eyes, “Do you want to have this conversation now, because we can have it.”

Awkward silence. And then lunch was over so the group at the table starting getting up to head back to our offices. I turned to one of my friends and told her how mad I was. She says (this is classic!), “I know, because you can have ice cream just like the rest of us as long as you dial it in**”.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not shy about my diabetes. I seem to be the go-to person at work when someone has a diabetes question or is newly diagnosed. My friends know almost as much about my control as I do. Sometimes they watch dLife with me on Sunday nights. We talk insurance, we talk complications, we talk about just about everything. I obviously write a diabetes blog. I am about to start helping my local JDRF chapter with some activities for Type 1 adults.

I was not mad because she mentioned something about diabetes. I was mad because she knows me and she knows better. I know she has a working knowledge about diabetes and I know that she knows what she said was inaccurate. She was just trying to be funny, and it wasn’t. And she had no business ‘outing’ me to a new coworker. That was the whipped cream on the sundae (as it were) that pushed me over the edge.

I am still waiting for her apology, but I think I will be waiting a while.

**”Dial it in’, defined here is a phrase my mom coined about pumping, because… well… because there are just so many dials on the current insulin pumps! 🙂

Category: advocacy, food, work
  • Jenny S. says:

*I* don’t think a jury in the world would have convicted you.

Grrrrr!

May 28, 2009 at 12:09 am
  • Rachel says:

Some people (a) never learn and/or (b) like to start stuff. Phooey on them.

May 28, 2009 at 12:17 am

Some people just need a lesson in when things are funny and when they are not.

And some people just need to get socked in the neck.

BAM

May 28, 2009 at 12:28 am
  • JaimieH says:

, “Do you want to have this conversation now, because we can have it.”……..(or take it out to the bike rack in front of the school!)

UGH……

May 28, 2009 at 12:45 am
  • Amylia Grace says:

I think our veteran ninjabetic needs to give her a swift ol’ kick in the arse and demand (like the soup nazi) “NO ICE CREAM FOR YOU!”

(to her, not you, of course.)

May 28, 2009 at 2:41 am
  • Hannah says:

Too bad some people just don’t know how to use their big brain and process it to realise that they need to shut up sometimes…

But i love the way you hinted her to stop, albeit that person didn’t get it…

May 28, 2009 at 6:30 am
  • missitaly says:

I would have said “Does anyone have the number for Human Resources? I think I’m going to talk to them about the comment you just made about me to the group here. It really is offensive commentary about my personal health.”

May 28, 2009 at 8:31 am

It would have been whup ass and ice cream all around!

I think you handled yourself very well Sara.

May 28, 2009 at 8:50 am
  • CALpumper says:

I do not blame you one bit for getting upset.

And I agree with Jenny S., No jury would convict you.

“…dial it in.”

Love that.

A friend of mine whom I met over 3 years ago just says, “…as long as you cover it.” She caught on quick. Yes, I said 3 yrs….

I have other friends that I have been friends with Much longer and not even as a joke, just a “in the moment” passing thought Still get it wrong.

So frustrating.

I love one of the tag lines on Ninnifur’s blog:

“oh and yes I have diabetes and I CAN eat that..”

You handled yourself well as Scott wrote.

Just keep doing your thing. And really, if no apology, maybe this person is not worth Your friendship. So does she want to have “That” conversation??

Eat up Sara! That ice cream looks delish!

May 28, 2009 at 9:35 am
  • Minnesota Nice says:

Some people will NEVER get it. But if she does, or sort of does, then the “trying to be funny” angle is entirely pathetic. I would have either started sobbing (with a little extra drama, just for effect), started screaming, or taken the ice ceam and smashed it into her face like a coconut cream pie.

May 28, 2009 at 7:19 pm
  • Wendy says:

you should have just strangled her with your pump tubing. Opps. sorry advocating violence here but I think it is needed here.

May 28, 2009 at 8:35 pm
  • Cherise says:

Oh No She DIDN’T!!!! WTH!?! some people need to be slapped with a sugachine straight to the mouth. Think before you speak, right?!? Too bad she didn’t! grr

June 1, 2009 at 1:50 am
  • Beth says:

If you’d like to provide an email address, I’m sure that we all could find some educational info on T1 to send, along with some tips on “how to be funny and not an idiot”.

June 4, 2009 at 12:04 pm
  • Beth says:

Because, you know, 10,000 emails in her inbox might get the point across….

I’m sorry you have to work with such a…..person…..

June 4, 2009 at 12:05 pm
  • k2 says:

Dude, can we just all collectively kick her ass?? Be it in person or via email? Nothing like spreading hurtful stereotypes regarding diabetes just to special & superior!

Kelly K