Finding the pattern

I have been experiencing some wonky numbers lately. For me, the best solution to that problem is to do a little basal testing. Easy in theory – tough in practice. According to Pumping Insulin, and accurate basal test needs to start at least 5 hours after your last bolus and at least 3 hours after your last carb intake. Your starting blood glucose should also be in a good range (they suggest between 100 and 150).

Yesterday I got home from work surprisingly early and had a quick snack. That set me up for the ability to run a good basal test last night. I started at 9:30 pm, and tested every hour until 6:30 this morning.

Here are the results:

basal testing

Well, isn’t that a helpful pattern.

I especially like that at 11:21 pm my blood glucose was 146, at 12:18 pm it was 95, and at 1:19 am it was 141. If that doesn’t make me feel confident about my basal rates AND my glucose meter, I don’t know what does!

Waking up every hour is not my favorite thing in the world, and by the morning I think there were two other characters who weren’t exactly thrilled either.

whose bed is this?

• CALpumper says:

Awwww, that last pic.

You poor thing. I Hate basal testing.

Stupid ‘betus. If you don’t cooperate how am I supposed to “adjust” you??? Ugh.

Nice helpful, er, uh, graph.

Hope you are resting. 😉

June 5, 2009 at 12:56 am
  • Henry says:

Hi Sara,

I went through the same process a couple of weeks ago, and luckily my BGL patterns were not as extreme as yours.

I hope you find your correct settings soon.

Cheers,

Henry

Author of D and The Guy

June 5, 2009 at 1:56 am
  • Alison says:

What a nightmare! CGMS is perfect for this, in the UK we can sometimes get the hospital to lend out a monitor for a couple of days so you can get a good view of trends. Would that be possible for you?

June 5, 2009 at 4:35 am

Oh dear, now what the heck to do with THAT?! And you must be a tired wreck! Looks like there is more basal rate testing in your future. Major suckage yo!

June 5, 2009 at 6:30 am

Oh yeah – THANK you for giving the proper definition of basal rate testing! So many people don’t understand that the idea behind this is to isolate variable so that you are *reasonably* sure that any changes you see in your blood sugar are a result of your basal insulin. And to do that requires fasting.

June 5, 2009 at 7:42 am
  • Jon says:

I always wonder how accurate the overnight tests are when you normally sleep, but instead are using energy/metabolism to wake up and test. I guess short of CGMS, it’s the best we have though.

June 5, 2009 at 11:42 am
  • Schmancy says:

I’m good with the nighttime basel test and the first thing in the morning one, it’s the day and afternoon/evening rate I can never seem to be in the right situation to get a test going. Whenever I seem to be close to being able to be in the right variables I get sooooo hungrey that there is just NO way I can deal with munching zero to low carb that would satisfy.

Good luck Sara hope you figure things out.

PS: Is it possible that you might be starting to come down with an illness?

June 5, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Schmancy –

Possibly – since I am, in fact, home sick today 🙁

June 5, 2009 at 3:12 pm
  • SaltMarsha says:

Hi, seeing this post makes me feel as if I could never be a pumper. Do you need a doctorate in Bio-engineering? I was diagnosed 5 years ago at age 50 with Type 1. I became very thin and that is why my doctor suspected diabetes. I have been enjoying reading these blogs and today I posted a comment for the first time. I feel as if I know some of you guys. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings and advice so honestly.

June 5, 2009 at 4:11 pm
  • PowerPumper says:

When i do this, I stay up all night and test every half hour. I’ve found a single all-nighter doesn’t affect basals. Two close together may. If there’s a significant change, I will re-test. I will re-test many anyway. It’s too big a commitment not to get it right.

June 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm
  • Marta says:

Hey,

Thanks for this post; very informative. I was wondering, where did you get that fancy chart?

June 18, 2009 at 5:11 pm
  • PowerPumper says:

That’s right out of the book “Pumping Insulin” by John Walsh. Great book!

June 18, 2009 at 10:05 pm
  • millyyates says:

I then take that info and put it into the basal estimator at insulin-pumpers.org. It’s a bit clunky but hey presto I get a new basal profile and I flatline. It works for me but the technology is old and you have to input in exact format.

June 23, 2009 at 10:35 am