My favorite: lancing device

I am on vacation this week visiting family (and hopefully a few friends) so I have planned a few posts about my favorite diabetes things.

For the first couple of years of my ‘diabetes life’ I just used whatever lancet came with the meter I was using. My poor tiny black dotted fingers.

November 28, 2007 - diabetes365 - day 51 November 4, 2007 - diabetes365 - day 27

I had heard about how great the MultiClix was on the Diabetes Daily forum, but since I use Lifescan meters, I did not have one to try. At a local JDRF walk two years ago, they were giving out Accu-Chek meters and I picked one up just for the lancing device.

Children with Diabetes ranked the MultiClix as the best lancing device on the market in 2005.

And they are still 100% correct in my opinion.

If you look at the picture of the lancing device above, you will see that there is nothing holding the lancet in place. By that I mean, once you hit the button to ‘fire‘ the lancet, it can wiggle its way to the target finger.

The drum of the MultiClix, on the other hand, holds the lancet in place. This, along with the slightly raised circle around the lancet hole (seen in the picture below) provides for a more accurate, and painless poke.

June 13, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 249

June 17, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 253

As much as I like the MultiClix, I still don’t understand why the refill box is marketed as 100 +2 lancets, instead of simply 102.

So what’s your favorite lancing device?

Category: product reviews
  • Darian Caplinger says:

You got it. The Accu-Chek Multi-Clix is the only lancet device I use. I’ve got 2 of them now, and would like to get a 3rd for my backup meter. 🙂

Regards,

D

June 23, 2009 at 12:08 pm
  • Hannah says:

Previously …i was using the Accu-chek Softclix…it was the only one i had…and i loved it…no pain…or very little pain…

Then came the Multiclix…just started using it last week actually…and I’m loving it everyday!!! Painless…although the lancing device is a bigger than the softclix…but its bearable 🙂

p.s) the 100+2 doesn’t get me either!

June 23, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I need to get one of these. I use the one that came with my one touch and I hate it.

Also, I like that I get a little math test with each box! Sweet.

June 23, 2009 at 12:56 pm
  • Kathleen Weaver says:

I am so paranoid of losing/misplacing them, I carry around two — one in my meter and one with my diabetes supplies and have two more around the house.

I get them by getting the meters free from my doctor’s office, toss the meter and keep the lancing device.

June 23, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Because with the “+2” we are supposed to feel like we’re something special and are getting extra! 🙂

June 23, 2009 at 4:58 pm
  • Jon says:

Yep, MultiClix is it for me! Since I first got it with my (original) Accucheck compact, I’ve stuck with it (no pun intended) even though I’ve now had 3-4 different meters since then.

June 23, 2009 at 5:53 pm
  • landileigh says:

i agree that the multiclix is the best on the market. the hard part is “loving” a device that is meant to draw blood. i still can’t wrap my head around that part.

June 23, 2009 at 6:06 pm
  • Mandy says:

I use that one and the SoftClix that came with the Compact Plus meter. It’s smaller and just as “painless”

I wonder if anyone actually uses the Pelican Sun. It was pretty impressive, but not at $200.

June 23, 2009 at 8:20 pm
    • rick says:

forget about the pelikan, I had one, but t’s discontinuned at least in the us
      It was great, least amount of discomfort, but yeah , pricey and longer available

September 12, 2011 at 9:38 pm
  • tmana says:

This is great for fingersticks but horrible for forearm. And I find I get more accurate results when I test forearm.

June 23, 2009 at 9:09 pm
  • Christine says:

I think it markets the 2 extra as a bonus for insurance reasons, since most insurance companies will say how many this will pay for in increments of 100.

June 23, 2009 at 9:31 pm
  • Vera says:

I use and strongly recommend the finetouch (http://www.terumo-europe.com/_diabetes_products_pages/lancing.html). I use it for two years now (Accucheck SoftClix before) and love it, because it hurts less and doesn’t hurt after the actuall prick (I thing they are using different lancetts which do not penetrate so deep as others). Admittedly this thing is pretty ugly. 🙂

Btw, I found your blog recently (probably via a link from Kerri’s blog) and really like it!

June 24, 2009 at 7:08 am
  • Teresa says:

Thank you for this info. I scream many times when pocking my fingertips. I will definitely try the Softclix.

October 23, 2010 at 5:15 am
  • Maureen Grantham says:

I have just bought a Softclix because the lancet that came with my Optimum Xceed Meter hurt like hell. Not sure I quite love the Softclix, but it really does make my life more bearable.

December 27, 2010 at 3:19 am
  • Mike Forbes says:

The multclix is good if you can afford it. or your insurance company pays for it. If not just get a standard device and get a 33 gauge lancet for 1/4 the price and make sure you set it so it doesn’t poke too far!

July 5, 2011 at 11:43 pm
  • tori20 says:

I just got the one touch delica.I’m really happy with it.

April 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm
  • Dan Kitzler says:

The multiclix is a nice lancing device. I have thick calloused skin and I need a lancing device that can penetrate. Therefore, I use the Microlet2 by Bayer as my favorite lancing device. It’s quite frustating to lance and no blood comes out grrrrr…..

May 17, 2015 at 9:51 am