Newly Dx Week: Connect the unconnected

When you are newly diagnosed with diabetes, it can be a very lonely time. At least it was for me. Outwardly your life doesn’t change that much – you have the same job, the same friends, the same life. Inwardly, however, your life is completely different. Everything you do becomes some sort of calculated risk that you have to sort through. You want to go out to eat with friends, but is it worth the possible blood sugar complications after? You want to spend the day at the beach, but can you keep your insulin from overheating, do you know how your blood sugar is going to react to being out in the sun all day? It can all be overwhelming, especially if you feel like no one around you really understands. Outside you look the same, but inside your life is completely different.

I can’t imagine living with diabetes 10 or 15 years ago (I was only diagnosed in 2002) when there weren’t the opportunities there are today. It is hard to feel alone when you can reach out and virtually connect with over 15,000 people here on Diabetes Daily, over 10,000 people on TuDiabetes, hundreds of diabetes bloggers, a growing group of happy diabetics, and other communities of diabetics that I don’t even know about.

It is so easy to connect with other diabetics, get your questions answered, receive support, and feel less alone with a very lonely disease.

My best advice for the newly diagnosed diabetic is to connect. Connect with other diabetics as much and as often as you can. Step out of the virtual world, take the chance, and meet up with other diabetics in your area. I promise you won’t regret it.

iphonepicMandy and IType 1 Mom SongJuly 25, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 291 - Kerri and IIMG_8517IMG_8109ninjas and trufflesJuly 23, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 289 - The Blogger DinnerThe Minnesota meetupJuly 26, 2008 - diabetes365 - day 292 - Dinner at Margaritaville*last picture borrowed from Kerri at sixuntilme

Category: friends, meet-ups
  • Bernard Farrell says:

Sara

Thanks for this great suggestion, I’d like to see us all reach out to folks who may not be on the net.

I don’t see myself in any of those great pics. 🙁 You’ll have to come to the northeast at some stage! (See how I passed the responsibility on to you?)

September 22, 2009 at 9:05 am
  • deanusa says:

very good advice.i wish this stuff was around oh those many yrs ago!dont be alone when you dont have to be!!

thanks sara

September 22, 2009 at 9:14 am
  • Jaimie says:

Lovin’ it! 🙂 There is nothing like a D-meetup!

September 22, 2009 at 10:10 am
  • Andrea B. says:

There is nothing like connecting with others who understand what your going thru. I so wish we had that kind of connection offline here.

September 22, 2009 at 10:33 am
  • David Edelman says:

I agree with Bernard. It is extremely important for us to find better ways to reach people offline. I think this issue will slowly resolve itself as more people go online, but we should do what we can to speed up the curve. I hope to make sure we have a presence at more diabetes events moving forward so people can at least learn about the great things the online communities have to offer.

September 22, 2009 at 11:04 am
  • Cherise says:

You made me tear up. I agree…step out of the web and met pwd’s! There isn’t anything like it.

September 22, 2009 at 11:16 am

My life changed when I connected to other diabetics. I will continue to meet more and more.

I LOVE that I am in 3 of those pics. So awesome!!

September 22, 2009 at 11:19 am
  • Bennet says:

What a bunch of sick minded wacko internet stalkers.

Oh wait! I am in one of those…

… or maybe that proves what I said at first.

September 22, 2009 at 12:59 pm
  • Hannah says:

Thanks Sara! Connecting with other Ds (for me it is only online… and a few other D friends that i’m trying to meet more often now) definitely made a huge difference for me… no one is alone if we just step out to reach others =)

September 24, 2009 at 11:38 am
  • Scottie Gardecki says:

i went to dental school with a girl from the phillipines. she had been a dentist for a while but they still made her go back to 3 years of dental school…at least it wasn’t all 4! she breezed right thru it and actually graduated at the top of the class.

September 26, 2010 at 5:02 am