How invisible?

I was walking back to my car after a movie this weekend and I noticed something in the street.

First a bit about the movie. It was Tyler Perry’s “I Can Do Bad All By Myself”, and you need to see it. One of the characters (a kid) in the movie has diabetes, and there are maybe two mentions of it in the entire movie. And only when it was needed for dramatic effect.

However, I am willing to forgive Mr. Perry and announced it on Twitter when I got home, “Anyone else see Tyler Perrys “I Can Do Bad…” this weekend? It was so good, going to forgive the completely inaccurate picture of diabetes!”

So anyway, walking back to the car with friends and notice a piece of clear plastic in the gutter. The familiar shape caught my eye.

IMG00053-20090913-1940

Anyone need a Quick-set cap?

So my question is:

Is diabetes really invisible or do we just fail to see the unfamiliar?

• Keith says:

Too funny! We’re everywhere… they can run, but they can’t hide!

September 15, 2009 at 5:45 am
  • Hannah says:

You have super sharp vision Sara!!! You actually spotted an almost invisible clear quick set cap!!

September 15, 2009 at 7:46 am

Hmmm, great question Sara.

September 15, 2009 at 10:55 am
  • Karen says:

Great point!! It reminds me of the comment George left on Kerris Invisible Illness post – saying that those of us with diabetes have D-Ray vision and see what others don’t. How true.

September 15, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I think it’s one of those things that only we see.

September 15, 2009 at 4:28 pm
  • k2 says:

Yes, those of us with D have D-Ray for sure. A D-O-meter that starts beeping whenever we spy another PWD. Now if the public could just get it right!

Kelly K

September 15, 2009 at 4:47 pm
  • Kelly Rawlings says:

It’s like the time I noticed insulin-pump tubing hanging from a guy’s pocket on the metro in DC. But I didn’t say anything.

“Hey, nice pump.” That’s always a good conversation starter. For those of us with, as Kelly K writes, D-Ray. I love D-Ray. Or is that Dadar?

September 15, 2009 at 5:40 pm
  • tmana says:

Agreed about the “D-dar”… Even T2 me can recognize a pump controller or a Dexcom receiver changing from someone’s belt…

September 15, 2009 at 6:49 pm
  • Elizabeth Edelman says:

Ever since I was dx’d, I see test strips everywhere. And no, not just mine! I see them in the street, on the floor at restaurants, and walking down the hallway at my brother’s school. I can’t figure out if that’s because I know what to look for or if they were always there and I just never saw them. Great post!

September 15, 2009 at 9:27 pm
  • Minnesota Nice says:

I told one of my nephews I went to see the Tyler Perry movie and his only comment was “why”?

Since the db has always made me feel like a freak I am glad that people don’t notice anything different about me. What I do want is acknowledgement of how hard I have to work every day to take care of my health. And, of course, nobody can see the endless amounts of time overshadowed by fear and anxiety about the future.

Three days after seeing the movie I’d completely forgotten about the boy having db. Yes, certain aspects of db provided sensational tones and that’ what Hollywood is about. When the sister finds him sweaty in the middle of the night I thought sure he was naving a hypo, not needing insulin. I guess they maybe couldn’t afford test strips.

I think expounding on the kid’s condition would have taken too long and been quite boring for an audience.

I hope you stayed for the outtakes at the very end. I want a big flannel nightgown like Madea’s for those cold Minnesota nights……

September 15, 2009 at 9:59 pm
  • Cherise says:

I want to see that movie really bad!!! How was it?

Ok, “How invinsible is diabetes?” I don’t think it is. I believe people are selective when it comes to diabetes, kind of like selective hearing. We see things for what they are not for what they really are.

September 16, 2009 at 12:27 am