The blessing of traffic

We knew we were in trouble when a road sign shortly after we passed the Vegas Strip read ‘Heavy traffic into California. Expect long delays.’ The road between Las Vegas and Southern California has to be one of the most boring, monochromatic (brown), mind numbing drives in the whole United States. I don’t do well on road trips when I am not driving and any delays in the trip just make it worse so I was going a bit stir-crazy.

The traffic delays and the busiest In-N-Out restaurant ever eventually caused us to be delayed by about an hour and a half. As a result, we finally got to the Cajon Pass (which is the final mountain pass before home) around sunset. It had snowed at some point between when we drove up to my brother’s on Wednesday and our return today. The contrast of the setting sun with the fresh white snow on the moutains was just beautiful. I got out my camera but the beauty was hard to capture from the moving car.

IMG_3234 copyIMG_3236 copyIMG_3237 copyIMG_3239 copy

As I snapped away I realized that if not for the traffic I would have been in the comfort of my mom’s living room at that moment.

If not for the pain of going through struggles, I wouldn’t appreciate the beauty of the blessings that wait for me on the other side.

• Hannah says:

Nice pics there Sara… eventhough it was from a moving vehicle =)

December 28, 2009 at 3:32 am

I am going to make that trek very soon and have always enjoyed the pass. The rest as you say is pretty boring. BUT You cannot forget the worlds biggest thermometer in Baker!!! that is pretty awesome!!!

December 28, 2009 at 11:03 am
  • David Edelman says:

Great post title – I couldn’t imagine what that blessing might be. Now that I see the photos… gorgeous! And I totally agree with you about the mind-numbing drive. Most of us don’t get the blessing as part of our drive. 🙂

December 28, 2009 at 12:09 pm
  • jeanne wagner says:

I love mountain pics and yours are beautiful. My daughter just moved to Southern California and can’t believe the traffic. She lives in LongBeach and went to Temecula for Thanksiving to be with relatives. She left after dinner to return home drove for about 30 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic and returned home to spend the night with her aunt and uncle. It does look beautiful there though. We’ll have to go and visit and bring our camera.

December 28, 2009 at 12:49 pm
  • Jaimie says:

Amen! 🙂

December 29, 2009 at 12:09 am
  • roseate says:

breathtaking scenery. I love mountains too! I doubt I can take as good pictures as this on a moving vehicle. Thanks for sharing.

December 29, 2009 at 1:42 am
  • Cherise says:

Beautiful Pictures!!!! I’ll be taking that long and boring road soon! Is it safe to assume you’ve never driven through Kansas? Lol now that’s a boring ride.

December 30, 2009 at 11:19 pm