15 minutes

Thank you all for your kind comments on my journey into faith on my last post. It really means a lot that while we don’t always agree, we can all treat each other with respect.

***

Today I got a phone call from my endocrinologist’s office. I didn’t think this was odd because I have (or spoiler alert: had) an appointment scheduled for this Friday.

The nurse told me she was going to have to reschedule my appointment. She asked me if I was on an insulin pump. When I told her I was, she confirm that was the problem with my appointment.

Most of the appointments with the endo are only scheduled for fifteen minutes, but those on insulin pumps get thirty minutes. The person who originally made my appointment didn’t realize I was pumping. She wanted to reschedule me for an opening they had later that day, but since it involves fasting blood work a 1 pm appointment is really not ideal.

My appointment is rescheduled for next Tuesday, and I hope to use all of my thirty minutes. Fifteen minutes?! That is ridiculous! If you haven’t read Cheating Destiny to understand how common this practice is, you need to buy yourself a copy today.

***
Sarah Jane and I were both watching Rizzoli and Isles in our respective time zones Monday night and were surprised to see an insulin pump. It’s a shame that it was on the murder victim though and (spoiler alert) it had something to do with the cause of death – although it wasn’t the insulin overdose we’ve seen 1000 times before.
  • Stacey D. says:

I think 15 minute appointment intervals are absolutely mind blowing. When I see my new endo next month (my current one is leaving & being replaced) I will be lucky enough to have 30 minutes with her. I’m sure once we get the initial appointment over with, I’ll be back to 15 minutes. How can you feel you’re getting adequate care with being allotted such a short time for an examination? Good luck at your appt. next week!

August 18, 2010 at 9:28 am
  • Sarah says:

I agree that 15 minutes just… wow… wayyy to short! I understand that doctors have to see LOTS of patients per day, but when we see a specialist for something, the time alotted needs to be longer. I love my endo to death, but I always feel rushed. I’m lucky if I get to see him for a whole 10 minutes most of the time.

August 18, 2010 at 9:39 am
  • Michael Hoskins says:

Wow… I’m in awe of this 30 minutes. Usually, I’m somewhere around the 15-minute mark myself (as an insulin pumper, mind you.) Used to have much more time at my previous awesome Endo before changing states, but don’t think he had a practice to have different time allotments based on insulin therapy. That’s interesting. Will have to ask my current endo at the next appointment, in mid-September. Thank for the post, Sara!

August 18, 2010 at 9:59 am
  • David Edelman says:

August 18, 2010 at 10:00 am
  • Lili says:

The first endo I ever saw spent less than a minute in the room and was rude and unhelpful.

My current endo is awesome, and I get 5-7 minutes of quality time. I guess it doesn’t seem like much, but I don’t even notice. I always bring her my data and labwork is done in advance.

August 18, 2010 at 10:20 am
  • Schmancy says:

I’ve never really paid much attention to how long I spend with my Endo. I definatly don’t feel rushed. I know he goes over time with those that he feels the need and then there are patients he spends very little time with. I always have blood work to do in advance of my appointment and then we look over the results together that day. The nurse I see at the Diabetes clinic also works at his office once a week so as long as I keep up with her my Endo doesn’t even look at my numbers other then my A1C.

August 18, 2010 at 11:05 am
  • Kari says:

15 minutes is definitely not long enough! I’ve read ‘Cheating Destiny’….definitely a good book for all diabetics, and those concerned, to read!

August 18, 2010 at 12:08 pm
  • deanusa says:

to answer davids question

“My question to the crowd: is there anyone who has an endo that doesn’t have this experience?”

me! i have never been rushed and always get what ever time i need.im blessed and thrilled.i have gotten up to a hour with her when things were haywire.

August 18, 2010 at 1:22 pm
  • Rachel says:

Typically, only 15 minutes. Yet the 15 minutes is perfect for me, someone who usually just needs refills, thyroid feel, and a foot check. Even if there is an issue, my endo multitasks and talks about the issue while doing the thyroid feel and foot check. And I never feel rushed – always amazed that the appt has only been 15 minutes. Quality wins out over quantity here.

August 18, 2010 at 1:39 pm
  • amylia says:

I agree. I am writing a long post on this topic myself…I’ve recently switched from Endo to NP for this very reason.

August 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm
  • Bruce says:

Sometimes I do feel that the Endo is too slow and taking too much time with everyone so I would rather see the NP so I can get in and out quicker.

August 18, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I don’t spend much time with my endo, but I take as much blame for it as anyone. I don’t feel that I push him to help me as much as I should. At the same time, he doesn’t push me either, so I guess we’re both guilty.

I have to say that I’m intimidated by the work involved in finding a new endo, but I also recognize the ridiculousness of that statement. It’s my health, right? I should do whatever it takes! But I don’t. Or at least, haven’t yet.

I’ve never seen that show, but dang, you’ve got me curious!

August 19, 2010 at 3:09 pm