Diabetes Guilt

At church this past Sunday we were talking about the missions opportunities we support. We have been training local leaders to establish small home churches in Asia and they are now expanding into Africa as well. It costs about $150 to fully support one of these churches.

Later Sunday night all of my diabetes technology needed to be “changed”. I refilled my reservoir, changed my infusion set, and inserted and calibrated a new CGM sensor.

I was quickly struck by the amount of money involved – the cost of insulin, of my pump, reservoirs, infusions sets, medical tape, CGM sensor, CGM receiver, and test strips.

To be totally honest, the feeling that struck me most was one of guilt. How do I reconcile the fact that the same amount of money I just used here (most of which will last for less than a week) can do so much more good somewhere else?
  • Ryan says:

Remember – you need to have your own house in order before you are able to help someone else. If you are not taking care of yourself, you will not be able to do any good somewhere else.

September 29, 2010 at 8:50 am
  • Scott S says:

I agree with Ryan about having our own house in order before we can help others. But the question is not whether others in the world lack faith or whether they even need churches to guide them, it’s whether they have access to genuine basics like food, clean water, medicine in needed, or even netting to cover their beds and prevent the spread of Malaria. Individuals cannot get to a higher level if they’re fighting for survival.

September 29, 2010 at 10:01 am

I think you guys are missing my point. I am not talking about not taking care of myself and my needs. I am not going to not buy insulin or something so I can use that money to feed the homeless. I am just shocked by how much money is “wasted” every week.

Scott, a good church (like mine) recognizes exactly what you say. Someone who really follows what the Bible says recognizes that it commands us to take care of the “orphans and widows”. Not just those literal groups, but anyone who is less fortunate – who doesn’t have anyone to help them. If I tell someone that I care about them and I love them but I don’t do anything to help them, my message falls pretty flat doesn’t it?

September 29, 2010 at 10:09 am
  • Schmancy says:

Sara, I hear you. It is sad that we have to spend so much on D consumables that could be used to reach so many more in such deep and profound ways. What would we do with the money that we would save if we didn’t have D? Interesting.

September 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm
  • Jollymon says:

I hear you too. The $150 to support the church in Africa would impact soo many lives, and we might blow that on ourselves and not think twice. Then if we didn’t blow that money on dinner & drinks, that commodity “thing” that we might have purchased would be sold at the garage sale for 10% of its value 3-5 years later. We are so wasteful.

If you really want to do something amazing to raise money for your church, or your cause, have a garage sale and donate the money. Selling your excess will do good for others.

September 29, 2010 at 1:32 pm
  • JD says:

There will always be someone less fortunate than you. If you put too many other’s concerns ahead of yours you will be another victim, which solves nothing.

There is no rule that you can’t be happy until everyone in the world is happy. If that were the case nobody would ever be happy.

October 1, 2010 at 9:34 am
  • Bevie says:

I know what your saying. I belong to a large (as in mega) church and we do a lot of mission work both in and out of the country. Statistics show that most of the world survives on a monthly income that we might spend in one day without blinking an eye. No running water or clean water, in houses that would fit in our garages. We are a blessed country. But even Jesus said that there will always be the poor and even HE choose who he would heal or not heal. Need is everywhere – even in a country as blessed as ours. Your heart is truly open to others, keep up the good work.

October 1, 2010 at 7:16 pm