One arm closer to cyborg

In 2007, I submitted a request to my insurance for a DexCom CGM system. It was quickly denied. In fact, at that point, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida had not approved a single request. I thought about fighting the denial, but was switching doctors and didn’t really have the numbers behind me to be the first person approved.

After hearing about more and more people getting their CGMS systems quickly approved, I decided to talk to my endo about it at my last appointment. She was very supportive, if a little confused as to why I wanted the DexCom if I use a MiniMed pump. I told her I probably would not be with the MiniMed past my next warranty.
She said that if I was thinking about switching to Animas (which will be very tempting if they are the next to have an integrated system), to get the CGM now and wait for the integration before I get the pump. That way I will only be paying to upgrade one system, not both.
So, I submitted the required paperwork to my insurance and just when I was about to call to check the status, my DexCom rep called (it was actually the day after I mentioned it in a Just Talking episode). She said I had been approved. Now let’s talk details.
Dexcom Trial Sensor #1 2/13/07-2/25/07

As a final step before I could receive my system, I had to provide them with 60 days worth of blood glucose logs. And it could not be a Carelink report, it had to be on THEIR form. Well, let me just say, I know why people fake their logs, that was quite the task!
And my insurance “coverage” – well, it was better than nothing. I haven’t met my deductible yet for this benefit year, so I am responsible for that and then I am responsible for the 30% of my 70/30 PPO coverage. Instead of paying an arm and a leg for the system, it looks like I will only owe them about an arm.
According to the rep, I could have the DexCom system in my hands as early as this week.
To my soon-to-be fellow DexCom users, what are your best tips?
MiniMed iPro sensor
Just for fun – a comparison shot to the one above. This is a shot of a MiniMed CGM sensor after a 2009 trial through my doctor’s office.
Category: Dexcom
  • Cara says:

Good luck! I’m glad you got approved. πŸ™‚

September 7, 2010 at 10:11 am
  • Michael Hoskins says:

Awesome news, Sara! Congrats! It’s interesting, because I’m actually contemplating that same switch myself from a Minimed to an Animas/Dex for the same reason. We’ll see what happens. Can’t wait to hear how it goes for you, once you receive the Dex!

September 7, 2010 at 10:27 am
  • David Edelman says:

AWESOME! I love hearing stories about CGM coverage expanding. For those that want to put in the time to understand their trends, it’s such an amazing tool. Especially as the censor technology has improved over the last few years.

For advice, you can join the recently started DexCom group here on DD.

September 7, 2010 at 11:00 am

Awesome Sara!

My biggest piece of advice? Give it time before you decide if you love it or hate it. πŸ™‚

I think it’ll work out well for you, as it sounded from your Just Talking episode that your trial worked great. There’s great info on the groups here and at TuD.

September 7, 2010 at 12:30 pm
  • Karen says:

Yay!!! I’m on the MM system, so I don’t have any tips for you. πŸ™ But I have to say I think it’s ridiculous that they need the 60 day log on their forms, not from CareLink. Stupid stupid stupid!!

September 7, 2010 at 5:35 pm
  • Cherise says:

Congrats, Sara!!!

*singing* she’s got a dexcom:) the best advice I have to give is the longer you keep the sensor in the better results you get. πŸ™‚

September 7, 2010 at 8:49 pm
  • Rachel says:

Glad to hear you are approved!

September 7, 2010 at 11:19 pm
  • Jon says:

So, do they care what the dates are, or can you just transcribe from your meter/reports?

September 8, 2010 at 10:18 am
  • Kelly Booth says:

Congratulations! One thing that I have learned is to not calibrate if the Dex has any arrows going up or down – they say it is better to wait until your BS has been stable for about 15 minutes. I started getting better readings when I did that.

I donΒ’t understand why the logs have to be on their forms. Dexcom sent my paperwork to a supplier that was in-network with my insurance. They also wanted logs before they submitted it to my insurance but I just printed out some my meter software. There was no way I would sit and handwrite all that stuff when it is on my computer.

September 8, 2010 at 3:27 pm