Good thing they are WORLD Diabetes Day pins

Why am I glad that they are WORLD Diabetes Day pins? Because the people that had the closest guesses are all over the WORLD.

I was listening to Just Talking Episode 57 with Ginger Viera on Wednesday and she was talking about how she giggles in the middle of her serious powerlifting. I am a problem giggler too! I giggle at doctor’s appointment, which I hope is not affecting my endocrinologist’s ability to take me seriously.
So when the doctor gave me my results on Wednesday I could not stop giggling. I was so surprised by the results.
Guys, my A1c was 5.9!!!
Wow! I haven’t been in the 5’s since I was on Symlin and that was just because of all of the Symlin lows. This is a healthy 5.
I wouldn’t say I have done anything different other than responding to the DexCom. I am catching my highs before they get “too” high – although as luck would have it I have forgotten to bolus for two meals since my appointment. I don’t think it is just preventing the highs, but I also think that preventing the lows has also helped my A1c – 1) less lows mean less opportunities to overcorrect 2) less severe lows mean less opportunities for my liver to get involved an dump some unexpected glucose into my system.
I had to fight my insurance company and wait for years before they would approve it for anyone in the entire state of Florida. If you are waiting for your insurance company to approve a CGM device for you – keep trying – they are totally worth it!
And the winners are:
  1. FatCatAnna – she had the first guess and totally NAILED it!! (Canada)
  2. Hannah – only .1 off! 🙂 (Malaysia)
  3. Sugabetic Sarah finished out the top 3 and was only .2 off target. Granted the pin is not going too far to get to her, only a state or two away (bless her Southern heart!)
George and Kelly Booth also got it right on the dot, and were gutsy enough to guess the same number that had already guessed! They both have pins already and disqualified themselves from the game. Thanks for spreading the wealth guys!
Hope everyone has a great weekend! Any big plans out there?
  • Stacey D. says:

Congrats on the a1c Sara!! I thank Dexcom for lowering mine too, althought not that low. You’re obviously doing something right 🙂

November 19, 2010 at 9:47 am
  • David Edelman says:

Congratulations! I really enjoy your Dexcom photos and corresponding discussions. We’ve been using real-time CGM graphs in a class we’re teaching here in Cleveland, and they’ve been eye-opening for people who don’t quite understand how quickly and constantly blood sugars change. The fact that anyone can get into the 5s is pretty amazing. 🙂

November 19, 2010 at 10:32 am
  • Hannah says:

WAHOOOO!!!!! Congrats on that fantastic a1c!!! =)

can’t believe that i actually came in second based on my very wild guess… lol

November 19, 2010 at 10:34 am
  • Bernard Farrell says:

Excellent A1C, good for you.

November 19, 2010 at 10:38 am
  • Jaimie says:

whoohoo! *high five*

November 19, 2010 at 12:25 pm
  • Ann Onimous says:

That’s so fantastic: congratulations!

November 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm
  • Kevin says:

That’s excellent.

I had my lowest A1c ever after a solid 2 months with the Dex on. I dropped from 7.6 to 6.7.

I’m looking forward to see what 3 months with the Dex can produce (but a little worried about the holidays being smack dab in the middle of those months!).

Muchos kudos!

November 19, 2010 at 3:19 pm
  • Kelly Booth says:

Congratulations! I am happy that I guessed right but even happier for you. The Dexcom has made a huge difference for me. Now we will have to get you to join the Flatliners Club!

November 19, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Sara! That is FANTASTIC!!! Way to go!

November 20, 2010 at 12:17 pm
  • FatCatAnna says:

Excellent A1C Sara – my A1C twin 🙂 I’ve been offline past few days due to PC being hacked – currently using little netbook until my PC is flushed of the nasty stuff. BTW, you can send on the pin to whoever wants it that was next inline for the “correct” A1C. I’ve been an IDF member for many years – so have pins galore since they came out in 2007ish (I give them to folks here in Montreal – to spread the word).

Keep up the good work!

\^^//

November 20, 2010 at 12:21 pm
  • karena says:

Yay – This is a great result! It is also a really good lesson showing that less is more. Congratulations!!

November 21, 2010 at 8:42 pm