Guest Post – Behind the Bromance

I am out of town this week spending time with family and celebrating my grandma’s 85th birthday. She is actually the only other diabetic in the family (Type 2) and we like have fasting blood sugar competitions – she usually wins!

Anyway, while I am gone I figured it would be a good idea to mix up my Friends for Life wrap-up posts with some guest posts from my friends. To stay with the theme of the blog, I asked Scott to write about his favorite “Moment of Wonderful” that he has experienced either because of or despite diabetes. Enjoy!

******************

Christel’s podcast, Diabetic Feed, introduced George to Kerri’s blog. Kerri’s blog inspired George to start his own diabetes blog. I stumbled onto George’s blog and left a comment. That was January of 2006.

That was where the “bromance” started. As Sara has been the one to capture the most awkward pictures ever, I figured her blog would be a perfect place to tell the story. Maybe we’ll get lucky and she’ll add some of them into this post [duh!].

February of 2009, I was still working for Cozmo, and was invited out to the Los Angeles area for a business meeting. George lives in the Los Angeles area, so we spoke about extending my business trip and staying at his house for the weekend. It was a done deal less than 5 seconds after talking about it.

My business colleagues did not understand how I could possibly feel comfortable enough to stay the weekend with a complete stranger that I had never met before. A few of them gave me their direct phone numbers, saying “if you walk in there, and he has human skin lampshades, you call me and I’ll come get you right away”.
sneaky!
definitely!

I sort of understood their concern, but I also felt like I knew George as well as, or better than, many of my “real life” friends. There’s something unusual about the bond living with diabetes usually provides.

IMG_0877

Once my work was done, I headed off to meet George. As soon as I got into his car I felt a wave of familiarity and relaxation. I didn’t have to be “on duty”, like I was during my work stuff. I could just be Scott. He was just George. It was really nice.

scott doesn't do tough

It takes a good friendship to be instantly comfortable like that.
bromance

Meeting George for the first time, in real life, was a Moment of Wonderful for me.

look at those eyes!

Category: friends
Tag:
  • youcandothisproject says:

I love, love, love this post. 🙂

July 20, 2011 at 9:19 am
  • Mike Hoskins says:

This is the greatest post EVER! Absolutely loved it, and it has me smiling at work an hour or so after reading it for the first time. Love the photos. Scott, thank you for being “Just Scott” (of awesomeness). George, thanks for being you. Sara, thank you for bringing Scott here to share this incredible Moment of Wonderful! And that’s that. I’m off to do what needs to be done, with a smile on my face, a heart of happiness, and images of Scott and George being awesome together!

July 20, 2011 at 11:13 am
  • Karen G says:

Scott and George – I love you guys!! Seriously!!

July 20, 2011 at 11:15 am

Man, I am crying my eyes out. I love you Scott. You are my soul brother and best friend. I am blessed to be a part of your family.

Sara, thank you for posting this and the pictures are great!! HAHAH

July 20, 2011 at 11:23 am
  • Kate says:

Love it! I too have the d-friendships that are unlike any other friendships, yet they are.

July 20, 2011 at 11:29 am
  • Meri says:

It is a bromance made in heaven. 🙂

I love the way you are looking at him in the last picture. You were meant to find eachother! Very sweet.

July 20, 2011 at 11:37 am
  • Sue says:

Awesome! Kerri inspired me to write my blog, too. Your friendship is amazing!

July 20, 2011 at 12:02 pm
  • Brad S. Meter Boy says:

There is a special energy that certain people have, maybe it’s chemical or just an unexplained sort of charisma, that makes them immediately accessible and likeable. I had tweeted and Facebooked with both Scott and George for a short period of time, but when I met them in person I felt like I had known them all my life.

If there was a D.O.C. Yearbook they would both be voted “Most Likeable” “Most Likely to Succeed” and maybe even (based on the pictures) “Cutest Couple”!

July 20, 2011 at 12:16 pm
  • Beatriz Domínguez says:

You two are some of the nicest people I know in this world and it is no surprise you get along so well. I am glad to know you both and I thank you for being so nice, not only to me but to everyone around!

July 20, 2011 at 12:50 pm
  • Meagan says:

Aw, LOVED this post. It’s so true, D offers us an instant bond with others. So glad you two found each other…talk about “Friends for Life”!!! Love the pics, especially the one where you guys are drinking with your arms linked, such an awesome Bromance between two funny, funny guys!!! 🙂

July 20, 2011 at 12:56 pm
  • floreksa says:

Love it!! My husband thought I was off my rocker when I boarded a plane and flew to DC to meet a bunch of ladies with T1. Best weekend of my life!

July 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm
  • Michelle Golladay says:

I love you guys;) This is awesome! Y’all are welcome at my house anytime you are in Youngstown, Ohio! (which is probably very often;) LOL!

July 20, 2011 at 1:41 pm
  • c says:

Baahahahahahahaha! Love the post. Love the photos. I had to try really hard not to embarrass myself as I sit in the lunchroom at work. Not an easy task.

July 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm
  • beth2027 says:

Aw! I love my d friends. I’ve met some of my best friends because of diabetes, but we aren’t diabetes friends….we’re just friends who happen to both have diabetes. 🙂

July 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm
  • Jaimie Roberts Hernandez says:

amazing post….just love it…and YES maybe the ‘town cryer’ has tear in her eyes 😉

July 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm
  • shannon says:

AWESOME x 2!

i call kerri’s blog the ‘gateway blog’ because hers was the first i found and it opened the whole DOC world to me. this post was beautifully written and illustrated. (and the rollover captions!) thanks for sharing.

and WHERE ON EARTH IS THAT MASSIVE RUN-DMC PICTURE? SO DOPE!

July 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm
  • Scott K. Johnsons says:

Thanks you guys! And Sara – you did not disappoint with finding the perfect pictures for this post!

Shannon – that picture was at the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego, CA when we were there for the Roche summit. Sara told me “look tough”, and I cracked up saying “I can’t look tough!”. Dope indeed! 🙂

July 21, 2011 at 3:45 am