When the moments are not so wonderful

In terms of genetics, I drew the short straw. While I am the only person in my extended family with type 1 diabetes, there are quite a few examples of autoimmune issues on my dad’s side of the family.

By having diabetes, and as a result of some other circumstances, I drew another short straw. Did you know that people with diabetes are at a higher (maybe even double) risk of also having depression? (source)

My bachelor’s degree is in psychology so I can identify the signs and symptoms pretty easily. The step between knowing and doing something about it is a big one.

In February, I took that step and got help. It has not been an easy process. With the help of a medical professional, I made the decision to try medication.

The first medication that I was prescribed worked pretty well but it was not approved by my insurance and I could not afford the out of pocket cost for it. I tried another medication and it has taken a while to get the dosage and timing right for me.

If you have diabetes and think you may be struggling with depression, please seek help. It may be scary at first to admit you need help but you will feel so much better when you do. The community will be here to support you just like they were for me (thank you to those I was able to contact by DM and text).

I am living with diabetes and depression and still enjoying every moment of wonderful.

DSC_0262

Category: health, insurance
  • Bob P says:

Thank you, Sara, I appreciate your courage. I have blogged on this topic as well. It seems like the number of PWDs that struggle with depression is ENORMOUS.

August 2, 2011 at 11:17 am
  • Bea Domínguez says:

I am so glad you got the help you needed, Sarah. I have been dealing with depression since I was 19 and I talk about it openly. I have it, I deal with it, some days are better than others, but I don’t let it ruin my life. Hugs to you!

P.S. I love that photo!

August 2, 2011 at 11:20 am
  • Simon says:

Wow! An extremely brave post Sara.
    What’s not to love about you? Awesome, open, funny and witty. You are the source of many others and my own “Moments of Wonderful”, heres hoping you may share in more of the joy you so liberally provide

August 2, 2011 at 11:42 am
  • kaythequeenbee says:

Glad to see you write this article. I’m Type 1 and was blown away by postpartem depression. My daughter is 3 and I’m just now coming out of the haze.

August 2, 2011 at 11:50 am
  • shannon says:

powerful post, fantastic pic, thanks so much for your voice.

August 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm
  • Meri says:

Thank you SO much for sharing this important post! Knowing we are not alone is huge! Your smile is beautiful!

August 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm
  • Rachel says:

Thank you for speaking up and out – it’s so important to recognize that mental/emotional health is important for physical health.

August 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm
  • Mike Hoskins says:

Thank you so much for this post, Sara. It’s not easy, and that step between recognition and help-seeking action is the toughest – that’s where I’m at, and I’ve been so outside myself for so long it feels as if there’s no way back. Realizing I can’t handle it on my own, even with some of the most supportive people around, feels even more crushing. But it’s these kinds of posts that make you realize that you can get back, that there’s hope… and that is so powerful. Best your way.

August 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Mike – I think knowing that I had all the help and support that I did and still felt the way that I did was another thing that convinced me that seeking medical assistance was my next step.

August 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm
  • Stacey D. says:

Thank you for posting this Sara and letting others know they are not alone. I am so glad that you were able to take that next step and I hope that you find the right balance of treatment that works for you. I often wonder how on earth I’ve never dealt with depression in all the years I’ve lived with diabetes.

August 2, 2011 at 1:39 pm
  • Scott Strange says:

Sara,

I am so glad you got the help you needed! I’ve suffered from depression as long as I can remember and finally getting some proper medications and support from the DOC has allowed me to finally make some real progress.

This is a brave post about a topic that seems to be the dirty-little-secret-of-diabetes. Hopefully, more people will start realizing this is a not only a serious likelihood, but also a serious detriment to our overall health and diabetes management.

{{HUGS}}

August 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm
  • Colleen says:

I’m always so very impressed when one of our DOC buds share the personal struggles they are working with in addition to the daily grind of dealing with diabetes. I think it gives each of us the strength to seek help if needed and give help when it is appropriate.
    Hugs to you, Sara!

August 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm
  • Misty says:

You are amazing to share this very personal story with us. Thank you so much!

August 2, 2011 at 5:37 pm
  • MelissaBL says:

Transparency takes courage. And you’ve got it. Thanks for speaking out about such a hugely important issue, Sara.

August 2, 2011 at 11:44 pm
  • Kerri. says:

Nothing but love for you, Sara(aaah). And for #Bes.

August 3, 2011 at 9:45 am
  • Meagan says:

Sorry you are going through this Sara. Things seems to get heavier and heavier as the years with diabetes tick by. Thank you for this post. I’m giving the bird to the insurance company right now for you, it is really upsetting that they don’t make medication affordable…especially when we all deal with SO many medications. Best of luck and cyberhugs to you.

P.S. I love that picture of you!!! 🙂

August 3, 2011 at 10:31 am
  • Lorraine says:

I’m sorry to hear about these less than wonderful moments. For what it’s worth, you seem to be coping magically. I’m glad you took the steps you needed to to get help. Kudos to you.

August 4, 2011 at 2:19 pm