Happy and or Healthy

Victoria recently hosted a guest post by a member of the diabetes community with whom I have butted heads numerous times.

DC Scribe writes about how he understands diabetes but what he doesn’t understand “are other diabetics.” I believe the source of this problem is that he also mentions that in fifty-two years he has never met anyone else with diabetes.

In his guest post, DC Scribe describes (pardon the name pun) the numerous ways in which he keeps his diabetes to himself. His coworkers don’t know about his diabetes and even his family does not know the details of his treatment. Scribe explains that he likes it that way and feels like it gives him the freedom to live the way he wants to live. Scribe does not eat carbs if his blood glucose is over 150 and never eats refined sugar. He emphasizes that his treatment must be working, because he has not had an A1c result “above 6.3 in the last 10 years.”

(Side note: I would like to know how he gets through airports without his coworkers finding out about his diabetes.)

I would like to politely suggest an alternative way to live.

As opposed to DC Scribe, I am very open regarding my diabetes. While my coworkers probably do not know or understand the details of my condition, they do understand how important my advocacy efforts are to me. Again, my family probably could not explain how to refill the reservoir in my pump or describe the details of the body’s use of insulin, but they do understand enough to support my endeavors public and private.

I have a sweet tooth. I enjoy baking. I make an amazing often-requested banana cake. I’ve recently entered the world of cake pop creation. I eat various forms of refined sugar and enjoy it – especially the combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

I also see my endocrinologist regularly. I have a personal A1c goal that I have achieved consistently for the past several years. I don’t mention specific numbers online that tend to make people uncomfortable or guilty, but let’s just say I am well within all medical professional recommendations and very comparable to DC Scribe’s results.

My friends from the diabetes community have encouraged me and blessed my life in ways that other people in my life (because of their functioning pancreai) are unable to do. I share online and in person about my life with diabetes because the words of other people have meant so much to me. My only hope in blogging, tweeting, facebooking, and all other forms of communication is that I say even one word that means something to one other person.

If the life DC Scribe lives makes him happy, so be it. I prefer to live a more open life and share the parts of my life that are important to me with my friends and family. I am happy, healthy, and open about my health. I believe that it is possible to achieve all three.

Scribe states,

“I have never been happier and I am certain I am healthier than 99 percent of the people I pass on the street everyday.
It is my earnest hope that other Ds can say the same about their own health.”

This is one place where the two of us can agree.

Category: advocacy
  • Scott Strange says:

Personally, I believe the more people who know I am diabetic, the better my chances of survival are…

September 22, 2011 at 10:20 pm
  • Sue/RFamHere says:

I see it as my mission to be vocal about my diabetes. Raising awareness is very important to me, especially as a non-stereotypical Type 2. I think some are tired of hearing me talk about it. LOL

September 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm
  • Colleen says:

I, for one, am extremely grateful for those who share their experiences with diabetes.
    Your video of doing the pump inset is a great example of how you helped me make the decision to try pumping.
    I really appreciate the encouragement, along with the sincere help.

September 23, 2011 at 6:18 am
  • Rachel says:

The new work environment is really stale (right word, I think?) and not very open. It’s hard not being totally out there with all that I do for diabetes and the other chronic conditions like I was previously. I can’t imagine doing it by choice, especially with insulin-dependent diabetes, where people SHOULD know for safety’s sake in an emergency.

September 23, 2011 at 7:18 am

I make mistakes. Big ones sometimes. I want to help people by sharing those mistakes so they don’t have to.

I make good choices too! And I want to help people by sharing those choices so they can see if they would help them too.

I am not perfect. I am glad I am not.

September 23, 2011 at 10:37 am
  • Mike Hoskins says:

Excellent points, Sara. I wholeheartedly agree. While it’s certainly amazing to have such incredibly great “control” consistently for so long, I’m also of the thought that sharing is better. For those of us who are open and share our D-Lives, the good and the bad, I think it’s a matter of helping and just connecting with those who “get it.” A sense of community.

I’ve met a lot of Type 1s in my life. Some blog and are open, most are not. But I can count on one hand the number I’ve ever heard say they are basically not ever concerned about their diabetes.

I’m a fan of the phrase, “I’m perfect… at being imperfect.” And that’s just how I want it.

I’m also very interested in the whole “how do you get passed airport security” inquiry…

September 23, 2011 at 2:23 pm
  • victoria says:

Thanks Sara! I’m so glad you read the guest post, and I’m thrilled you blogged about it here. Obviously, I’m a fan of full disclosure with diabetes and prefer people know about it. I would consider myself an opposite to DC Scribe, but I have very much enjoyed the friendship we have found as a result of D. I asked him to guest blog just to show another perspective. I also have a former boss who lives a life similar to Scribe’s, which also baffles me. But again, in this great big world of D, it’s refreshing to sometimes see a different side.

P.S. – I can’t wait to meet you in KC! 🙂

September 26, 2011 at 9:59 am
  • Jane K says:

Sara,
    Thanks for sharing your perspective. I agree with you and Scribe (in different ways, or on different points). I struggle with blogging about diabetes. Overshare? Undershare? Personal? Professional? I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever be completely comfortable on the DOC. I am working on publishing a book (imminently), and that scares me to death too! Anyway, it’s always enlightening to read about other people’s experiences and you have definitely met your goal of saying words that mean something to others.

April 15, 2012 at 11:39 pm