One year ago

One year ago today was a very important day for me. Any guesses on what I am celebrating? It is something I first attempted in 2007.

No, it is not my blogaversary. I first tried to obtain a continuous glucose monitoring system in early 2007 and was denied by my insurance company. At the time, they had not approved a single person with my insurance. I may not have been the most in need of a CGM, but no one in my entire state?

One year ago today, my DexCom finally arrived in the mail.

the arrival

As soon as I could get home to charge it and insert the first sensor, I was ready to collect data.

Three receivers (one lost, one stopped beeping) and only one faulty sensor later (two weeks ago) and I have collected a LOT of information. A LOT OF INFORMATION.

so much information

so so much information

so so so much information

so so so so much information

so so so so so much information

so so so so so so much information

woke up low

low after breakfast

05 AM

11 AM

08 PM

12 AM

so so so so so so so much information

A special shout out to my DexCom rep Lori who sent me an e-mail today reminding me of my anniversary and is going out of her way to help me navigate my new insurance hoops to get my supply order. I am on my last sensor so I am counting the days!

Category: Dexcom, insurance
  • Tony rose says:

Sara, how do you feel the Dex has done in terms of helping with your control and overall A1c? Happy Dexanniversary!

September 15, 2011 at 9:22 am
  • Stacey D. says:

Happy Dexcomaversary!! Have you noticed any improvement in your overall management? I’m always curious to hear other people’s experiences. And I’m jealous that you got an anniversary email 😉

September 15, 2011 at 9:26 am
  • Meagan says:

Love! It’s wonderful that you got one, I need to get on my insurance company and try to get the CGM and the pump. One of these days…

Happy Dexaversary!!!! 🙂

September 15, 2011 at 9:34 am
  • Kelly Booth says:

Happy Dexaversary!

September 15, 2011 at 10:25 am

Great questions everyone! I suppose I should have written about that in the original entry but I was tired and trying to keep it brief!

I am very lucky in that my overall management has always seemed to be easier than what most people seem to experience.

My A1c has been in a range that my doctors and I are very happy with for the last several years (both before Dex and now).

I enjoy the additional confidence I feel in wearing the system but I am still trying to balance that with the tendency to micromanage results. A few months ago I switched the high alarm from 200 down to 180 to hopefully also reduce my standard deviation (which is more important to me than my A1c results).

September 15, 2011 at 11:48 am
  • shannon says:

this showed up in my reader, yay!

and happy dexaversary!! love the timeline of varying graphs up there!

September 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm
  • Colleen says:

And… Thank You!
    Because of you and others, those of us who “came after,” haven’t had to FIGHT to get a Dexcom.
    Me and my dex have been together for just over two months.

September 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm
  • Leah N. says:

my dex are like really great friends that don’t always get to see each other as often as we would like but can always pick-up from where we left off. I take breaks with mine, just to give myself a week of only wearing one site, but then it drives me crazy not knowing what dex has been up to and we soon get reconnected! I don’t know when I started mine but my one year is coming up soon too! 😉

September 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm