Last night’s DSMA topic was about the new year and setting goals and resolutions. I don’t think I have ever set an official resolution at the beginning of the year. I have made plans and considered goals as the year changed but I don’t think I have ever had a grand plan to start something new or stop something old.
Resolutions are popular this season because mentally a fresh year just feels like a fresh start. I mean, why else did I wait until January 1st to restart Diabetes365 when I’ve been thinking about trying it again for months?
As I mentioned, they resolutions really aren’t my thing so I responded that I make plans for the new year, but nothing official.
I’ve researched goals a little bit and and part of the reason why I don’t declare that I make real GOALS is because I am not putting the effort in to make them SMART goals. Since they aren’t SMART goals they are much harder to reach.
So, no I don’t have any goals. But I do have some plans for the new year. In no particular order and listed here to keep me accountable in twelve months.
- I am not happy with my weight and fitness level right now. I am trying to work out more each week and eat out less. (If this was an actual goal I would tell you how much weight I am trying to lose, how often I am working out, and how often I will let myself eat out)
- I don’t think I will be going to Haiti this year, but regardless I have let my Creole studying slip and I want to continue to learn the language. It is a difficult language to learn. There’s no Rosetta Stone for Creole. I found one resource on Amazon about a year ago so I do have a textbook, workbook, and audio CD to study. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be able to carry on a conversation with an adult and not just ask a kid their name.
- Somewhat depending on the results of my endocrinology appointment next month, I think I am in a decent place with my diabetes management (after making some changes to my routines and doses last month) and I would like to keep that going throughout the year.
- I want to be successful with my efforts to finish Diabetes365 this year. Some of those attempting the project set up a Facebook page to encourage each other and keep each other accountable so that is helping keep me motivated.
- While I am satisfied with my diabetes management, I am not satisfied with my offline advocacy efforts. I’m not sure exactly what I am going to do yet. I have had some trouble finding my place in some “big name” organizations and might be spreading myself too thin to make a different in organizations that might be more receptive. By the end of the year, I hope to be more successful in my advocacy efforts BOTH online and offline.
Did you set any
goals resolutions plans for the new year?