Numbers

This past week, I feel like I’ve been surrounded by nothing but numbers. I’ve been working on some survey data at work. I’m pretty good at it, but that doesn’t mean it still doesn’t make my brain hurt.

On Wednesday, I looked down at my odometer on the way to dinner and I noticed my car hit an important milestone (*pun intended). I got this car in 1999 with 15 miles on it and hopefully we’ve got many more miles together.

Don’t let this next picture fool you (an example of the difference between a meter and a CGM), I’ve been experiencing consistent highs before dinner and before bedtime no matter how steady my graph was the rest of the day.

I adjusted my basal settings three times in the past week and am now taking what I feel is a significant amount of additional insulin. Whatever it takes though, right? I’m waiting until after tonight to call the new rates a success and I’m still trying to figure out why I needed such significant changes all of a sudden.

This one is no help.

AHHH!!! I am so frustrated. I didn’t eat much on Sunday, keeping an eye on my basals throughout the day. I made it through the previous trouble spot at about 10 pm. I couldn’t sleep so I didn’t head to bed until 3 am. The DexCom had a flat line around 130.

So frustrated!

That spike? 4 am – one hour after I fell asleep! My alarm clock went off at 8:30 this morning and I hit the snooze. As I rolled back over to catch a few extra minutes of sleep, I heard the familiar double beep – the DexCom high alarm. Once I’m asleep, I’m a pretty heavy sleeper. Didn’t hear a single alarm during the night! I was almost 300! What is going on?!

Category: cats, pump
  • Colleen says:

Hope you stopped at the gas station!

February 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

I was wondering who would notice that! ;)

I like to challenge my car, and I haven’t had to hitchhike to a gas station yet!

February 20, 2012 at 10:20 am
  • Kim says:

Nice Rose Pose.

I’m frustrated just from looking at your graphs!

February 20, 2012 at 11:23 am
  • Kelly Booth says:

I never hear the alarms in the middle of the night. My conspiracy theory is that Dex goes into a silent mode shortly after you fall asleep and doesn’t wake up until after you wake up.

February 20, 2012 at 11:50 am
  • victoria says:

I am sooo sorry you are dealing with this. I feel your pain, but I’m struggling with the opposite. Yesterday, I fought lows all day. I had so many glucose tabs I lost count. I’m trying to lose weight and exercise more, and this low business is not helping. I couldn’t work out last night because I couldn’t get above 60. Today, I weighed in and gained weight. And I’m on my second low of the day and it’s not even lunchtime yet. I’m trying NOT to give up. Good luck with your new basal. I hope it’s a success!!

February 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm
  • Kerri. says:

UGH. I sleep through the high alarms at times, too. Which is why I try to remember to put it in a glass at night, because otherwise it’s useless to me and my deeeeeeeep sleeeeeeeeeep. (Except if the cat jumps on the bed, I wake up instantly. What’s up with that?)

Rose is a cutie.

February 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm

My Dex sleeps on a glass coaster inside a bookshelf with the idea that the vibration on the glass with the bookshelf echo will wake me.

As Dr. Phil would say, “How’s that working for you?”

February 20, 2012 at 5:07 pm