Eat ALL the things!

I am scared to even write about this because of what happened last time I talked about this.

One thing that I am good at is…

Fingers crossed…

… should I say it?

I do a good job of not over-treating low blood sugars.

I like things in life that have definite answers. 1+1 should always equal 2.

I love reading the book Pumping Insulin because there are charts, graphs, and tables that I can use to manage the math of pumping.

Even when I am low, and my words don’t make much sense, my brain still can manage enough math to know how much fast acting sugar I need to get back into range without over-treating. I bet I would be some sort of math genius if my blood glucose was always in range!

At home, I almost always have juice boxes in the fridge. I guess they are made for kids, but they are also the perfect size for treating a low blood sugar without draining a whole large bottle of juice. When I am away from home, I always have at least one tub of glucose tablets on me.

This was the topic of conversation at my first meet-up back in June 2007. I never should have mentioned it because this was the e-mail I was forced to send to Scott Johnson and the rest of the group the next day.

Remember how I said that I didn’t usually over-treat my lows? I had one yesterday afternoon (43), and proceeded to have: one glucose tablet (the last in the container), a snack-size bag of peanut butter ritz sandwiches, a DingDong, and the bag of chips I saved from Panera. 30 minutes later I was at 85, but 2-3 hours later I was at 386 – oops!!

And in classic Scott style, this was the reply –

Did you simply panic because you couldn’t get your second glucose tablet? Or did you say “man, all that stuff that Scott eats when he’s low sounds really good…” and throw A1C control to the wind?

So I will publish this post, but if you read about me eating a tray of brownies tomorrow all by myself, you’ll know why.

• Bob P says:

Yesterday I had an “eat all the things!” day without a low!

May 15, 2012 at 8:49 am
    • Kate says:

Oh Bob…me too!!

May 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm
  • Jacquie says:

I totally took down half a box of Corn Pops a few weeks ago. My blood sugar paid the price . . . and so did the roof of my mouth.

May 15, 2012 at 8:50 am
  • Heidi says:

I am horrible at denying myself anything, & use lows as a “I deserve this” excuse.(which don’t make for pretty blood sugars later on) I wish I had even a smidgen of self-control.

May 15, 2012 at 10:19 am
  • Stacey D. says:

I am with you on this one – I don’t overtreat either and feel very fortunate that I don’t have the urge to do that. I know from others that it can be a real struggle.

May 15, 2012 at 11:03 am

I think a lot of it has to do with the Dexcom. We probably are catching most of them before they get to the panic inducing levels.

That, and good shopping. I miss juice so being able to have a perfectly sized juice box is a great “treat” for me!

May 15, 2012 at 11:43 am
  • Pearlsa says:

I wish I could, I wish I can but when I am low I will eat everything in sight

May 15, 2012 at 11:53 am
  • Kate says:

This is a great skill to have! I don’t get “scary lows” because I’m T2 and my meds don’t cause such things. However, I have gotten too low for me and I suck at eating/drinking just a bit. Eat all the things is definitely what I do and then I have a huge bout of regret and recrimination after. Yay Sarah!

May 15, 2012 at 12:19 pm
  • nicole says:

I definitely have to work getting the right amount of carbs to treat Cara’s low. I am getting waaay better, I use to sky rocket her (poor thing).

May 15, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I can imagine that would be scary for a parent!

We are told “highs are dangerous long term but lows are what will kill you in the short term”. I can definitely see wanting to GET OUT OF THERE as quickly as possible for your child.

May 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm
  • Sysy says:

This is a great thing to do well! I used to freak out at the low symptoms so much that I’d really over treat and now have to remind myself to hold back because the inclination is still there. Good on you 🙂

May 15, 2012 at 12:58 pm
  • Kelly Booth says:

Hopefully you aren’t forced to eat brownies tonight, but if you are, hopefully the math genius will come out and tell you exactly how much you need to bolus for them!

May 15, 2012 at 1:49 pm
  • Melissa says:

Love your great thing, Loooove your title, and I’ll totally eat a whole pan of brownies – low or not.

May 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm
  • Hilary says:

What is it about chocolate and lows? I love what you shared because I share the same issue too… I think we’re all in this dance together, so let’s hold hands and have a great time!

May 15, 2012 at 3:16 pm
  • Beth says:

Glad to know that overtreatment is a common issue. I like how you have categorized other’s blogs on the side. It is helpful. Keep up the good work!

May 15, 2012 at 5:30 pm
  • shannon says:

this is something we struggle with in my house. it’s hard to tell your kid she can’t have something when she’s low and starving b/c you’re afraid she’ll go too high afterwards.

good on you and hopefully no jinkies this time!

May 15, 2012 at 5:42 pm
  • Scott E says:

This is the most incredible accomplishment I’ve read so far today (and I’m just getting started, so I hope none of your readers feel slighted.. I probably haven’t read them yet … though Kim’s handling of her liquor is a close second.)

I won’t acknowledge your accomplishment with an “I could never do that,” because that is one of my most hated phrases of all-time. Realistically, I choose not to do that, because when it comes time to throw diabetes to the wind and partake of the forbidden sugary food, I never want to stop! But I should. Thanks for the inspiration.

May 15, 2012 at 6:48 pm
  • Meri says:

This is pretty amazing. As a mom, it is SO SO hard to tell my boys, no…wait a few minutes before you eat more. Because their bodies are telling them to EAT ALL THE THINGS too!

May 15, 2012 at 7:37 pm
    • Misty says:

Meri, that’s exactly what I was going to say. Ally wants to EAT ALL THE THINGS too! I am going to share this post with her though, so that she knows that others experience what she does too.

May 15, 2012 at 11:56 pm
  • Mike Hoskins says:

Ironically, I had a Low this morning and went into the 40s. KNEW that I shouldn’t overtreat, and went with a juice box. But then, it was coming up quick enough. And I hated that. And despite waiting even longer than I usually do, I totally went wild in the kitchen and threw caution to the wind (my A1C too, apparently). Swiss cake rolls, glucose tabs, another juice box, and then some cereal. And of course, within a short time, my BGs were back into the high 200s. The glucoaster ride had started… all because, as Tom Petty says, the waiting is the hardest part.

May 16, 2012 at 12:45 am
  • Jess says:

i need to borrow whatever magic you have that allows you to not overtreat. i think i am queen of overtreating lows. ridiculousness. 😉

May 16, 2012 at 1:30 am
  • Kate_Ireland says:

Wow! That is great that you can still keep that logic while low. Hats off to you 😀

May 16, 2012 at 5:57 am
  • victoria says:

I almost always overtreat lows. Especially at night. If I wake up low, it’s over. The fridge will be emptied. Since changing my diet though, I don’t have as much stuff to eat in the house, so I don’t overtreat as badly. it works out pretty well. 🙂

And the quote from Scott made me laugh out loud. I love that your blog does that for me. Thank you!

June 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm