You Can Do This Project at FFL12: What Do You Say?

I want to write a happy squee-filled post about working at the You Can Do This Project booth at Friends for Life. I’m not sure that’s how this is going to end up though. Thankfully, I will be going mostly internet free for the next few days as I go camping with my family and will be able to ignore the post after I hit publish (they’ve promise spotty cell service but I’m skeptical).

Don’t misunderstand. I love the You Can Do This Project. I 100% believe in it and everything it represents. As I mentioned in my last post, it was exactly where I needed to be at that point in time.

When I first started the job I am in now, my boss had a phrase that she would share with the new hires. She told us that at some point we would all feel the Impostor Syndrome and that we should just “fake it ’til we make it“.

I was definitely the impostor at Friends for Life.

I stood in the booth talking to everyone from little children to grown adults who have had diabetes longer than I’ve been alive.

I encouraged them to share what they are proud of accomplishing with diabetes or what advice they would give to someone else. I reminded them that there is someone else out there who needs to hear their story, someone that is waiting for their message.

And the whole time I was thinking,

“What if I can’t do this?”

Most of the time I know I can, but recent circumstances and events have knocked me down some. I am losing the ability to believe in myself.

Like a true impostor, I have some advice for you if you are feeling knocked down too. In the booth at Friends for Life, we asked people to write a short message on a whiteboard to share with other people living with diabetes.

Here are their words of hope:

• Brian says:

You are awesome. We have all had those days. If Rose can pee wherever she wants. You can do this too… I butt cheeks you and your role in my life more than you can ever know.

July 13, 2012 at 10:56 am
  • Kim says:

You have more impact than you give yourself credit for, my friend. Big hugs as you sort through all of this.

July 13, 2012 at 11:25 am
  • Kerri. says:

I’m not going to say “I butt cheeks you” because that’s Brian’s weirdo thing, but you are so important to so many. The way you touch people’s lives is unparalleled. Don’t lose hope. Or sight of your impact. Or forget that you’re loved.

July 13, 2012 at 11:51 am
  • Jess says:

We are all imposters sometimes.

Know that you are loved, and never alone.

July 13, 2012 at 1:06 pm
  • Stacey D. says:

It’s okay to have doubts. We deal with A LOT and we are only human. But don’t let those doubts take over. Take a moment to remember that you actually can do it. When life gives you 100 reasons to cry, show life that you have 1,000 reasons to smile. I love this saying because of the truth it holds. You have a lot of people who love you and are here for you. Don’t ever forget that.

July 13, 2012 at 1:45 pm
  • Sarah says:

Sara, the thing is, You are doing this. Imposter or not, you’re sharing a state that we all are at, have been at, or will be at again. It’s not always the ‘perfect’ role model stories (or BGs) that help other people pull through. Enjoy the camping!!

July 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm
  • Scully says:

Coulda fooled me! I’ll let you know a little secret… I’m an imposter too! I represent Team Type 1 yet I am not a good racer at all. I don’t have an a1c that reflects the team slogan of “strive for 6.5” yet I spout it all the time. I talk the talk and sure I may LOOK pro in my cycling gear but I am FAR from it. I barely consider myself a real “athlete”.
    I’m an imposter, but nobody calls me out on it. They don’t see me that way just as we all see you as an integral brick in this house. A keystone if you will. If you weren’t an imposter of some sort, then I might think you were not real. 😀

July 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm
  • StephenS says:

Sara, I don’t know you. But after reading about you, and seeing everything that everyone writes about you, it seems to me that there is more than enough evidence to wonder if… maybe you’re not an impostor. Maybe you really are doing this. Despite your doubts. Despite everything.

Just saying.

July 13, 2012 at 5:28 pm
  • shannon says:

i’m glad you hit post because as you must know, you are not alone in feeling this way. surely everyone has imposter syndrome at certain points in their life about certain things. the fact that you own it makes you even more *real*. ya dig?

EHRMAHGERD

LERVE THERT VERDIO SO HERD

July 13, 2012 at 6:03 pm
  • Colleen says:

Sara, you helped me believe that “I Can Do This” several years ago. I watched your pump insert vlog several times before I did it myself. I made my husband watch it before we went to my first pump appointment.
    Thank you for helping me learn that diabetes is doable.

July 14, 2012 at 8:50 am
  • Mike Hoskins says:

You make a difference. And matter to so many. You bring joys, smiles, good discussion and heartfelt support and meaning to countless people. Simply, you are a Moment of Wonderful in yourself. So as tough as it may be, don’t stop believn’ (as Journey says). You are part of what made that booth, and what makes this community, so special. Thanks for what you do.

July 14, 2012 at 7:54 pm
  • Wendy says:

Hmmmm….imposter. Or real?

Seeing you working that booth…smiling at the people who meandered by…sharing your story, and listening to theirs…wrapping your arms around me as if we’ve known each other for decades…helping me when I needed someone to call upon…

You can’t fake that, my friend.

Perhaps we all have moments of shaken confidence…when our minds play games, and we hear voices whispering things that are not true.

You can do this.

July 16, 2012 at 3:16 am
  • Bonni says:

Sara, You need to know that you were the first d-blog I came across that made a difference when I didn’t think I was gonna make it back in September when my son was diagnosed. You are so positive and honest and inspiring. Something about the way you write assured me that I could do this for my son and he will eventually do this for himself. It clicked with me & you aren’t even a mother of a child with T1D. Thank you.

July 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm
  • Alexis says:

You are the firtherest thing from an imposter.

I felt it when we talked, hugged, and during our little girl conversations 😉

We aren’t always as strong as we like. Or even as strong as people think we are, but don’t ever doubt for a second the difference YOU make,

Love you!