At the endo with no clothes on

Friday was my first appointment with my second endocrinologist in my new town. The appointment got off to a bit of a rough start, but I think I found my doctor.

waiting with diabetes

#waitingwithdiabetes

I strongly prefer to schedule my appointments as early as possible in the morning because I hate to wait. The fewer appointments that occur before I get there, the less chance the doctor has to get behind schedule. For this appointment, I had to take the first available, and it was just after lunch time. They sent me 10 pages of medical history to fill out and specifically requested I arrive 15 minutes ahead of my appointment time, so I was hopeful that everything would stay on schedule.

Unfortunately, the waiting room was full (it was a medical practice with a few different doctors) and I waited a half hour past my appointment time (45 minutes total). Then the nurse took me into the room and did all the basic vitals and after she left I waited another 30 minutes before the doctor came in the room. It wouldn’t have been so bad if I wasn’t holding something in just in case they needed a sample of it (if you know what I mean).

The next few minutes were pretty normal – the doctor was happy with my A1c and made one small basal adjustment. But then something happened to me that has never happened before in ten years of diabetes and six different endocrinologists.

He asked me to put a gown on.

I texted a few friends with diabetes while I was supposed to be changing to ask if it was normal, and so far, of everyone I asked, no one has put a gown on at the endo before.

When the doctor got back in to room, I told him that the gown was a first and he was shocked.

checking out the numbers

Haven’t seen this report in a while. Dexcom with a Mac problemz.

“You’re a new patient aren’t you?”

“Yeah, but I’ve been a new patient a bunch of times before and no one has ever done this.”

“Well I was trained in South Africa and in Boston so maybe that’s the difference.”

“Oh, Joslin?”

“Yes. You know about Joslin?”

“Ummm, I think most people with diabetes know about Joslin.”

At that point he made me stop talking to he could listen to my chest.

The downside of his thoroughness is that he sent me home with an orange jug to be used later in the month and I have to return later today for an ultrasound to check on something else (not an emergency but I just wanted to get it done as soon as possible).

In the past I have found that if my A1c is in a “good” range, the doctor basically skims over everything else probably assuming everything else is fine too. It was actually refreshing to spend time with an endocrinologist who is awkwardly thorough in his care.

• Rhonda B says:

Never fails – I have yet to meet an endo who doesn’t require “waiting” for. Glad you found the ONE! My Dr hasn’t ever had me put a gown on, but he does listen to my heart each time, and ask to check out my feet (even though I go to a podiatrist regularly.) It’s things like that that help me overlook the wait time, and keep him as my endo.

June 10, 2013 at 6:51 am
  • Laddie says:

Sounds like a good start to what could be a good long term relationship.

June 10, 2013 at 9:29 am
  • Amanda says:

I have never heard about Joslin. What/who is it?

June 10, 2013 at 11:50 am

Okay, maybe MOST people know about Joslin. It’s the “world’s largest diabetes research center, diabetes clinic, and provider of diabetes education…. Joslin has the world’s largest team of board-certified physicians treating diabetes and its complications, as well as the largest staff of Certified Diabetes Educators anywhere in the world.” (taken from Wikipedia)

June 10, 2013 at 8:39 pm
  • Tammy says:

🙂 Told ya!
    (But he’s never asked me to put a gown on….awkward!)

June 10, 2013 at 1:38 pm
  • Rachel says:

Never a gown at the endo, even though my primary concern through him is my thyroid…

June 10, 2013 at 5:41 pm
  • Scott E says:

I can’t remember ever needing to wear a gown (except possibly when I was too young to remember — or times when I came via the ER rather than regularly scheduled appointment), though I have had doctors listen to my chest at times, though not my current one. Did the request to put on a gown make you feel uneasy at all? I kind of expected you to say that it did, but maybe it was just surprise and nothing more.

I’ll tell you what surprises me is how he reviewed your data and made changes to your basal rates. I’ve never had a doctor *change* my rates, rather he’s suggested changes and I’ve had to make the actual change.

And I never have to wait to see my current endo. Not sure if that’s a good sign or a bad one…

June 10, 2013 at 6:27 pm

It was just surprise… not uneasy.

And the basal change – you have to take me a little less literally.

June 10, 2013 at 8:42 pm
  • Tandy says:

He’s the best. I haven’t had to put a gown on in a long time now since I’ve been going to him forever, but this last time he did a complete and thorough foot check including the tuning fork test, all the reflexes, and he always listens to my chest and back and feels the thyroid gland. Another thing I like about the office is that the MAs know all the robots and how to download them and the doc understands the software. He’s an excellent doctor and aggressive with diabetes treatment. But yeah, first AM appointments are a must! lol

June 21, 2013 at 9:31 pm