Patient with an app

A few diabetes appsI’ve started listening to NPR on the way to and from work. On the way home yesterday, I heard a story that mentioned diabetes. Of course my ears perked up at the mention and I was intrigued by the angle the report presented. The story was about the use and effectiveness of health care apps (read or listen here).

I have reviewed a number of diabetes apps on my blog – as recently as two weeks ago. I have presented on apps to a diabetes educators group in Florida. I have a full page of health care related apps on my phone. And I use them very rarely.

In the report, a popular app developer touches on one of the reasons I do not use the apps more but describes it from a different angle. He thinks that when people with chronic health concerns using these apps have a doctor’s appointment they

… [come] in, [pull] out their phones, and [say], “Hey, have you seen this app?”

Maybe I am missing out, but I have yet to find a doctor who has the time or interest to look at a new (and often untested and unregulated) health care app. If it isn’t directly connected to one of my medical devices, it doesn’t fit into the 15 minutes allotted by insurance. I feel like I want to find an app that fits into my lifestyle long term and offers long term benefits to my health. I am just not sure we are there yet. As the story concludes,

many unresolved questions swirl around the data collected by medical apps, including whether the information patients collect become part of their medical record, how would this work, and what will insurance cover.

• Kerri. says:

You have a voicemail message.

June 19, 2013 at 6:50 am
  • scully says:

^^Maybe just a recent call. phew.

no, in all seriousness…. i have NO APPS. None at all that have to do with diabetes because I can’t be bothered.

I hope they develop a really good one, then.. well maybe

June 19, 2013 at 9:54 am
  • Dolores says:

While I read your post my son looked over my shoulder and was immediately intrigued by your iphone … Of course he didn’t point out any of the diabetes apps … All he asked was “What is that hockey app?”

June 19, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Sorry to disappoint! When I first downloaded mySugr, it was not yet available in the US (I was previewing it for a review). They “hockey” app allowed me to access the download.

June 19, 2013 at 10:44 pm
  • Briley says:

My endo is supportive of any apps I have, whether they are compatible with her or not. She has informed me of some, and I’ve informed her of others, but what matters to me is whether the data can be read by both of us, because re-entering data is ZERO fun for me.

June 19, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Hmm… this is interesting to me. Mine don’t seem to want to look at them unless they put all the info together (BGs, dosing, carbs, etc). If it’s just the BGs (e.g. Glooko), they don’t care.

June 19, 2013 at 10:42 pm
  • Roberta says:

My diabetes educator actually told me about an app just yesterday called Diabetes 360. It’s supposedly a very useful tool and can help you calculate how much insulin to give (if not on the pump and you have complicated doses like I do) and keeps track of what doses you’ve already taken so you don’t give yourself too much. I haven’t used it yet, b/c it’s only avail on iPhones/iPads, so I’ve written them to ask if they could expand to the Android market!

June 20, 2013 at 8:30 am