When I went to bed last night, I had no idea what I was going to use for today’s photo prompt. Thankfully (?) Diabetes Awareness Month provides some of its own opportunities.
I received this email in my inbox today at work. The title “The “Sweet” Life” definitely caught my eye even before I opened the message. As a diabetes advocate, the email definitely gives me mixed feelings.
- My insurance company is sending out emails about diabetes to all of its members.
- The email contains accurate information about the prevalence of the most common types of diabetes.
- The company backs up the information with other resources to help its members manage their diabetes (I have not yet checked out the link).
- Umm… am I the only one offended by the title? I find it an inappropriate subject line from an insurance company. From them, it seems to take on a mocking tone.
- The oversimplification of type 2 diabetes also concerns me and perpetuates the stereotype that continues to negatively affect the diagnosis and treatment of people with type 2 diabetes.
So do the positives outweigh the negatives on this one or is it essentially another ill-advised press release?